Renaming entry 'History' in entity navigation bar RRS feed

• Question

• All entities which have activities enabled do show two new navigation bar items on the entity form navigation bar: activities and history.

My customer now wants these items renamed, as he has an other usage for the term 'history' in his business. The renamed items should display as 'open activities' and 'closed activities'. (I'm working on a german installation of the Dynamics CRM, so the German terms are 'Pendente Aktivitäten' and 'Erledigte Aktivitäten').

I tried renaming these labels through exporting and importing localized labels. But no success.

Is it possible to rename this navigation bar items (whiteout the use of javascript, which is certainly possible using the form onload event)?

The target system is Dynamics CRM 4.0, with update rollup pack 1 installed. Baselanguage is German with the English languagepack installed and activated.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

To rename anything in the navigation bar, you'll have to export the "Site Map" customization and then edit that file, re-import and that will do the trick. Good luck!
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:49 AM
  •  Hi,

Thank you for your response. I think my description was not clear enough:
    I'm not speaking about the global navigation bar on the main screen, which you can certainly customize using the sitemap customization file. What I mean is the navigation bar on an entity's main form.

For example: go to accounts, select one account and open it. There you are.
    On the left side you now have the navigation bar which contains the items I'd like to rename.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:29 AM
  • The following post on my blog will help you out. you need only to change the line which hides the item to a line that changes the innerText.

http://mscrm4ever.blogspot.com/2008/09/show-hide-crm-form-navigation-items.html

• Marked as answer by mrkdev Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I know your blog and like it!

This is a good solution and perhaps I will use it. But as I wrote, I'd prefer a solution without javascript.
    Is this not possible at all? Are there no localized labels for the two items 'History' and 'Activity' which can be changed to an other term?
    As this items should be renamed throughout the application, this would be much less work to be done.

I found the two labels in the database table containing the localized labels. But this two have the customization level set to 0 and are not exported using the export localized labels functionality of the crm. What does this mean? It seams as if there were labels which cannot be changed at all. Is that true and what is the cause for this?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:54 AM
  •  

This is true and might seem awkward at first glance. The reason might be that setting the flag to True means exposing other functionalities that MS wants to keep private. The simplest way would be to use JavaScript. Since you can’t hide the history navigation without using a script, creating a new navigation item that points to a custom iframe also doesn’t make sense.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:58 AM