An interesting WHS/AMD/Sil3114 problem - slows down boot process. RRS feed

• Question

• I had the misfortune of an old Dell motherboard (using a P4 intel chip) hosting my WHS dying.  I had to rebuild using an nForce board and an AMD 3100+ chip.  All other parts were identical.

Three of those parts included pci raid controllers - installed so that no conflict . 

An ebay cheap 4 port raid based on Silicon Image 3114 chip
    An old 4 port IDE raid card based on Silicon Image 0680a chip
    A new Addonics ADST114 raid 4 port card, also based on a Sil3114 chip, but apparently a later or different structure.

None of the drives attached to these cards are ever entered in a RAID configuration.  This is left for WHS.

In the Dell, these all work fine, boot up was very quick.  The basis timing here was the time that the windows 2003 screen stays up, which in the Dell was for about 25 seconds.

Upon building the new system, I installed all drivers over the internet from the Windows Update service.  However, I have replicated this problem using the original driver disks.

The problem is that the boot up hangs during the windows 2003 screen for a completely consistent 3 minutes 33 second.  This happens anytime the proper driver for the ADST114 is installed, without or without any of the other raid borads are installed.  This problem does not occur with the cheapy 3114 card - I'll explain why I beleive this is so in a bit. 

Looking at the log, the hang occurs during the process of the startup file aclpabl.sys (it may be a .dat, I cannot remember). 

The installation of the drivers for the cheapy 3114 card is very straight forward, it simply installs the driver.  But for the addonics card, the "correct" driver also installs a second driver based around a file named silsupp.cpl.  (Just for the record, the "proper" drivers provided by addonics has this file, but not a complimentary file found in the microsoft download "sippd.inf", but the same problem occurs regardless of which installation is used).  During the process WHS also "finds" a new device called "SI Psuedo Device Driver".

The 3114 driver for the cheapy card will not work when forced installed on the addonics card.  I think the problem here is that the addonics card is suppose to handle RAID5, whereas the cheapy card will not.

Even after a fresh install of WHS, if the first driver installed is the proper one for the addonics card, the system slows down.  On a fresh install I can install the other two RAID cards, first, and they work fine.  When I install the drivers for the addonics, everything breaks down again.

This problem not only causes problems during the startup, but also messes things up when trying to add a drive in the WHS console.  Without this driver installed, the new drives installs very quickly, less than 30 seconds.  With the driver installed, new drives (whether on the addonics card or elsewhere) take about 2 minutes to be added to the array.  ALso, file transfers seems to be slower, but this may be my imagination.

Internet searches show problems with AMD x64 systems and the aclpabl.sys file during bootup when a 3114 raid installer is involved.  However, I have found nothing for WHS. 

Any help would be appreciated
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

• I had the misfortune of an old Dell motherboard (using a P4 intel chip) hosting my WHS dying.  I had to rebuild using an nForce board and an AMD 3100+ chip.  All other parts were identical.

Three of those parts included pci raid controllers - installed so that no conflict . 

A new Addonics ADST114 raid 4 port card, also based on a Sil3114 chip, but apparently a later or different structure.

None of the drives attached to these cards are ever entered in a RAID configuration.  This is left for WHS.

In the Dell, these all work fine, boot up was very quick.  The basis timing here was the time that the windows 2003 screen stays up, which in the Dell was for about 25 seconds.

Upon building the new system, I installed all drivers over the internet from the Windows Update service.  However, I have replicated this problem using the original driver disks.

The problem is that the boot up hangs during the windows 2003 screen for a completely consistent 3 minutes 33 second.  This happens anytime the proper driver for the ADST114 is installed, without or without any of the other raid borads are installed.  This problem does not occur with the cheapy 3114 card - I'll explain why I beleive this is so in a bit. 

Looking at the log, the hang occurs during the process of the startup file aclpabl.sys (it may be a .dat, I cannot remember). 

The installation of the drivers for the cheapy 3114 card is very straight forward, it simply installs the driver.  But for the addonics card, the "correct" driver also installs a second driver based around a file named silsupp.cpl.  (Just for the record, the "proper" drivers provided by addonics has this file, but not a complimentary file found in the microsoft download "sippd.inf", but the same problem occurs regardless of which installation is used).  During the process WHS also "finds" a new device called "SI Psuedo Device Driver".

The 3114 driver for the cheapy card will not work when forced installed on the addonics card.  I think the problem here is that the addonics card is suppose to handle RAID5, whereas the cheapy card will not.

Even after a fresh install of WHS, if the first driver installed is the proper one for the addonics card, the system slows down.  On a fresh install I can install the other two RAID cards, first, and they work fine.  When I install the drivers for the addonics, everything breaks down again.

This problem not only causes problems during the startup, but also messes things up when trying to add a drive in the WHS console.  Without this driver installed, the new drives installs very quickly, less than 30 seconds.  With the driver installed, new drives (whether on the addonics card or elsewhere) take about 2 minutes to be added to the array.  ALso, file transfers seems to be slower, but this may be my imagination.

Internet searches show problems with AMD x64 systems and the aclpabl.sys file during bootup when a 3114 raid installer is involved.  However, I have found nothing for WHS. 

Are the drivers for Server 2003?  Have you tried booting the server both with and without a drive connected to the Addonics controller?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

Are the drivers for Server 2003?  Have you tried booting the server both with and without a drive connected to the Addonics controller?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:30 PM
  • There appear to be no specific drivers for Server 2003 (x32) for these raid controllers, though there is a Server 2003 (x64), which won't load onto my machine.  The remaining choices are Me/98, XP and Vista.  Only XP works.  Also, of course, I let windows update supply the drivers during one test run, but they appear to install the same way the XP do.  Also, uninstalling the driver and or the addonics doesn't make any different, the boot up time is still very slow once the driver is installed the first time, whether the addonics card is in the machine or not.

It does not matter if there is a drive connected to the Addonics or not.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:47 AM