Backup to a nas RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have the server back itself up to a NAS. i have two NAS's connected to my network, and was wondering if there was a way to get the server to back itself up there, or do they have to be directly connected to the server.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

WHS doesn't recognise any form of NAS, for any purpose, so no, you cannot use it. Also, WHS has no way of automatically backing itself up. Anything like what you expect, would have to be done manually, as per the Windows Home Server Home Computer Backup and Restore documentation, or possibly this could be automated, using a third party program to achieve the same thing.

Colin

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

WHS doesn't recognise any form of NAS, for any purpose, so no, you cannot use it. Also, WHS has no way of automatically backing itself up. Anything like what you expect, would have to be done manually, as per the Windows Home Server Home Computer Backup and Restore documentation, or possibly this could be automated, using a third party program to achieve the same thing.

Colin

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:02 PM
  • i was under the impression that with power pack 1, whs could make a backup of itself on a external hard drive, i was just trying to confirm that it had to be connected via usb, and not a network drive. i am assuming that this still can't be done other then by doing it manually.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:16 PM
  • There are no provisions in the WIndows Home Server product for using a NAS device as a backup drive or as additional storage for the home server Shared Folders.    You can backup the shared folders on your home server using Power Pack 1 to one or more external drives dedicated to that task.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:19 PM
  • This is a good question and one that I had hoped you could do.

I just purchased a NAS to do just this thing.  But now you have me thinking, should I connect it via USB?

I am going to map a network drive back to a computer share and see if the WhS will see it as another available drive, but I think it has to see Hardware...

Anyone else had this thought?....

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:06 PM
  • I certainly would not backup to a NAS even if you could.  Since your server is a "high end" NAS of sorts (and much more) it would make more sense to backup to an internal drive, eSata, Firewire, or USB from a perfomance point of view.  Leave the network storage to your server and plug in drives for an extra backup of critical stuff...

My 2 cents.

Mike

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:56 AM
  •  ed205gti wrote:

This is a good question and one that I had hoped you could do.

I just purchased a NAS to do just this thing.  But now you have me thinking, should I connect it via USB?

I am going to map a network drive back to a computer share and see if the WhS will see it as another available drive, but I think it has to see Hardware...

Anyone else had this thought?....

I think I'll settle for Sync'ing critical data to the NAS via SyncToy OR AllwaySync, this has worked very well for me in the past...  i.e. I'll store the NAS in a hidden location, in case of abreak in

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:12 AM