Not MSDN RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a Windows 7 Pro key from an ebay seller and have been having activation issues. On raising the issue of the 0xC004C003 code I was referred to a post saying that ebay sellers had been selling MSDN keys and that these could be identified by the 220 triple digit code. The person who sold me the key then sent me a PID checker so that I could see for myself that the key was good.

Sure enough it came up as valid. The PID on my activation page however differed from that which the PID checker provided. All I can think of is that someone has hacked my email and used the key before I did. Uncertain where to turn next for a remedy. I have emailed Microsoft support for New Zealand which is in the Philippines. The person there seemed to have a very limited grasp of Microsoft outside her own limited field and after one "miss" referred me to the piracy department so that I could check my PID. This was ludicrous to say the least.. total overkill.

Really I would just like to be able to speak to an American who knows how the Microsoft service system works so that I can deal to this thing.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:24 AM

Answers

• Carey Darin and Noel thank you all very much for your assistance in finally laying this matter to rest.

In fact I had hoped to sneak in here and quietly remove my post. You see I sent the PID checker result to my Filipino support person shortly before posting here and she had no problem straightening me out. As you have all given up valuable time to offer assistance it would be remiss of me if I simply skulked away without explaining:

The ebayer concerned was an all American youngster with an eye for the American dream. His dad is a computer engineer.. he had a very good day job and to all intents and purposes was a good person.. I mean he diligently attended to all of my queries and when one MSDN key didn't work he sent me another ;-)

After my interchange with you Noel I finally translated what you were trying to say and realised what the issue was. Usually when you have found someone out they fess up but my young friend continued to maintain his little fiction by way of the Windows Activation Program. This gave me a month on top of the original 3 day grace period. When that month elapsed and I was still no better off he sent me the PID checker.

This youngster may well be the next Bill Gates and so I have tread very lightly with him. Indeed my own (911 born) son committed suicide aged 22 when he was found wanting and I cursed those who could have done better. Curiously my young American friend is exactly the same age (actually born 10/11).

I have tried to understand why and this is the best I can come up with: I recently encountered someone similar during my search for a large capacity sportsbike. He was a young Tongan NZer  advertising cheap new older model bikes on an international trade site. I corresponded with him for a year and even went to Auckland to meet him. Eventually the cracks showed and I realised beyond all doubt that he was a scammer. You see he was hoist by his own petard trying to procure a bike to prove himself to me.

Even after I had found him out he continued to deny-deny-deny.. (an ex-American president would have been proud). He continues to advertise bikes that don't exist and has even become a moderator of the site. After much head-scratching I can only conclude that he has such low self esteem that he needs to parade this image as a "businessman." So deep goes his need for recognition that he continues with this facade even in the knowledge that I could crunch him any time.

I am not going to be crunching anybody any time soon however. Life for me is no longer about how high I can pile up the loot in my Scrooge McDuck money vault. I think Bill Gates has worked that one out and is now recycling some of his spare cash. My son paid for his "youth" with his life for the want of some much needed forgiveness and so I am trying to recycle a bit of that.. trusting in "life" the teacher over my own ability to snuff-out.

I have no doubt that my friend will return the purchase price in full.. he has already offered. Even if he doesn't it has been an interesting journey.. and 'sides I wasn't doing anything better with my life.

Thank you all once again.. I am off to shop for a certain program including COA ;-)

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:27 AM

All replies

• I recently purchased a Windows 7 Pro key from an ebay seller and have been having activation issues. On raising the issue of the 0xC004C003 code I was referred to a post saying that ebay sellers had been selling MSDN keys and that these could be identified by the 220 triple digit code. The person who sold me the key then sent me a PID checker so that I could see for myself that the key was good.

Sure enough it came up as valid. The PID on my activation page however differed from that which the PID checker provided. All I can think of is that someone has hacked my email and used the key before I did. Uncertain where to turn next for a remedy. I have emailed Microsoft support for New Zealand which is in the Philippines. The person there seemed to have a very limited grasp of Microsoft outside her own limited field and after one "miss" referred me to the piracy department so that I could check my PID. This was ludicrous to say the least.. total overkill.

Really I would just like to be able to speak to an American who knows how the Microsoft service system works so that I can deal to this thing.

Please download the MGADiag tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    Run the download - then click on Continue to generate the report. Click on the Copy button when it's available, and then paste the results into your reply.
    Do you really believe that a tool provided by the vendor of potentially counterfeit software is actually a valid test for anything, except the vendor's ability to hoodwink customers?

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Really I would just like to be able to speak to an American who knows how the Microsoft service system works...

You are, I am and I do.

However, to be able to diagnose the issue, we will need a Diagnostic Report. It will only take a few mins. of your time to download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread. 

It that point we should be able to help you resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:55 PM

The selling of standalone software product keys is illegal.  You need to contact the seller and demand an immediate refund.  Please review:  Don't fall victim to stand-alone COAs  and   Purchasing Genuine Microsoft Software.

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Carey Darin and Noel thank you all very much for your assistance in finally laying this matter to rest.

In fact I had hoped to sneak in here and quietly remove my post. You see I sent the PID checker result to my Filipino support person shortly before posting here and she had no problem straightening me out. As you have all given up valuable time to offer assistance it would be remiss of me if I simply skulked away without explaining:

The ebayer concerned was an all American youngster with an eye for the American dream. His dad is a computer engineer.. he had a very good day job and to all intents and purposes was a good person.. I mean he diligently attended to all of my queries and when one MSDN key didn't work he sent me another ;-)

After my interchange with you Noel I finally translated what you were trying to say and realised what the issue was. Usually when you have found someone out they fess up but my young friend continued to maintain his little fiction by way of the Windows Activation Program. This gave me a month on top of the original 3 day grace period. When that month elapsed and I was still no better off he sent me the PID checker.

This youngster may well be the next Bill Gates and so I have tread very lightly with him. Indeed my own (911 born) son committed suicide aged 22 when he was found wanting and I cursed those who could have done better. Curiously my young American friend is exactly the same age (actually born 10/11).

I have tried to understand why and this is the best I can come up with: I recently encountered someone similar during my search for a large capacity sportsbike. He was a young Tongan NZer  advertising cheap new older model bikes on an international trade site. I corresponded with him for a year and even went to Auckland to meet him. Eventually the cracks showed and I realised beyond all doubt that he was a scammer. You see he was hoist by his own petard trying to procure a bike to prove himself to me.

Even after I had found him out he continued to deny-deny-deny.. (an ex-American president would have been proud). He continues to advertise bikes that don't exist and has even become a moderator of the site. After much head-scratching I can only conclude that he has such low self esteem that he needs to parade this image as a "businessman." So deep goes his need for recognition that he continues with this facade even in the knowledge that I could crunch him any time.

I am not going to be crunching anybody any time soon however. Life for me is no longer about how high I can pile up the loot in my Scrooge McDuck money vault. I think Bill Gates has worked that one out and is now recycling some of his spare cash. My son paid for his "youth" with his life for the want of some much needed forgiveness and so I am trying to recycle a bit of that.. trusting in "life" the teacher over my own ability to snuff-out.

I have no doubt that my friend will return the purchase price in full.. he has already offered. Even if he doesn't it has been an interesting journey.. and 'sides I wasn't doing anything better with my life.

Thank you all once again.. I am off to shop for a certain program including COA ;-)

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:27 AM

<snip>

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
    I have only one thing to say - and that is that you have been conned. Pure and simple - the vendor has taken you and perhaps another 100-200 people in with the sales bull - and then followed it up with elephant bull. In the process he has made a LOT of potentially tax-free cash.
    You really should report the shyster to MS - he's stolen not only from you and others like you, but from MS (who have the time, money and inclination to ensure that he is brought to book for his many crimes). This is not a crime of omission, it's a crime of commission (in more ways than one!).
    It is not possible to 'accidentally' mis-sell these licenses - they have to be bought in the first place for not inconsiderable sums, and the buyer is reminded a number of times during the various procedures involved that the licenses are Not For Resale.
    The youngster is NOT a budding Bill Gates, more a budding Phileas T Barnum - 'You can fool all of the people some of the time'.... or even a Richard Nixon. If you let him get away with this, he WILL go on to 'bigger and better' things.

--

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:23 PM

<snip>

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
    I have only one thing to say - and that is that you have been conned. Pure and simple - the vendor has taken you and perhaps another 100-200 people in with the sales bull - and then followed it up with elephant bull. In the process he has made a LOT of potentially tax-free cash.
    You really should report the shyster to MS - he's stolen not only from you and others like you, but from MS (who have the time, money and inclination to ensure that he is brought to book for his many crimes). This is not a crime of omission, it's a crime of commission (in more ways than one!).
    It is not possible to 'accidentally' mis-sell these licenses - they have to be bought in the first place for not inconsiderable sums, and the buyer is reminded a number of times during the various procedures involved that the licenses are Not For Resale.
    The youngster is NOT a budding Bill Gates, more a budding Phileas T Barnum - 'You can fool all of the people some of the time'.... or even a Richard Nixon. If you let him get away with this, he WILL go on to 'bigger and better' things.

--

Hope he wasn't selling "His dad is a computer engineer." MSDN keys.  Ouch.  Dad would then take care of him.
    Friday, August 6, 2010 7:51 PM
  • "LVTravel" wrote in message news:4f6a3e10-aaeb-44f1-8562-1927e6af1e2f...
     Dad would then take care of him.

With any luck that may have more effect than a visit from the FBI!

--

Friday, August 6, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I appreciate all the above sentiments (although I was uncertain how to open those "news:" links) and in a world which operates on "survival of the biggest" principles you are very correct.

My problem is that I am little. Throughout the latter part of the nineties and early 2000s having made my own life footprint very small I went in to battle with the Bigfoot specimens who were usurping my freedoms by way of their ego-indulgences which they mistook for their freedom. I lost and I lost again. It was of absolutely no consequence whether I was right on principle, the person who was prepared to stoop the lowest always won. Slow learner but it duly became apparent that no amount of rubbing someone's nose in their oversights was going to bring back anything but strife upon me.

I had done pretty well in the confrontation stakes as a youngster but latterly every battle that I fought in a confrontational way sprouted new heads. One story of a neighbour with a dog which barked loudly whenever we used our driveway. The neighbour was totally unresponsive to our requests. In desperation I finally gave him a serve. Not man enough to own his fault he abused me for the next 7 years.

Our whole neighbourhood descended into chaos over this time as an errant landlady bought up 6 houses in a row and tenanted them with undesirables. Things only began to improve when I finally began to build positive relationships within the neighbourhood and brought the good together to face off against the bad.

Use of the enforcers only ever seemed to come back on me. When they were called upon to adjudicate always the accountable white guy came off worse than the hard done by minorities who could always score sympathy points. In more cosmic terms after having my door kicked in and being set upon by 2 Mongrel Mob girls I did file a complaint. Less than 2 weeks later I ended up on serious unrelated charges of which I was totally innocent.. another loss.

The movie "The Secret" spoke of negatively energising what you don't like. Mother Theresa would never attend anti-war rallies.. only peace ones. By the time I saw the movie I had much experience of how the energy one traded in always came home to roost and oft times surprisingly quickly.

In New Zealand we have a maori word whanaungatanga (far-no-na-tunga) of which the root is whanau or family. It is about the importance of people and their relationships much in the way that Jesus described mankind as a human body where the performance of the individual parts was intricately connected.

In a world context there is enough decentralisation that we can arm our troops and send them off to wreak havoc. That doesn't work in a family/whanau situation. Noel you hit on the uniqueness of family relationships.. when a member falls by the wayside it falls to the rest of the "team" to go back and help them.

In New Zealand we have a total population of 4 million and what goes around comes around again very quickly and observably. Correspondingly it is all the more important that we learn to work with each other and build strong relationships. I contrast this to what my American girlfriend says about the US, that if nothing else it is Gig.. oops big and the name of the game is #1 and getting on top. Good fun maybe but not sustainable.. not that much fun either when you finally learn some new tricks.

Gentlemen I am still out of pocket but if I can afford to take one on the chin for a higher purpose I am sure Bill can too. Perhaps with your positive thoughts I will make progress toward a peaceful and enduring solution.

Once again I offer my heartfelt appreciation for all of your interest and contributions.

Arohanui

Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:50 PM