backup fails stating "The device is not connected" RRS feed

• Question

• I set up various backup jobs on my WHS and the following error appears.  Both the drive I'm backing up and the destination drive is available as I can browse to them and open files there.

Backup started on 11/9/2009 at 7:37 PM.
    Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Documents\AWARD.WPD" - skipped.
    Reason: The device is not connected.

Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Documents\BD.WPD" - skipped.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• How did you setup the backup job? If you are using NTBackup or any third party backup solution these will fail due to the way WHS storage works; D:\shares\****\**** does not contain the actual files, only reparsepoints (tombstones) pointing to the actual file location. For more details please read the Technical Brief "Drive Extender"

If you are using the WHSbackup from the Computers and Backup tab to backup data in your shares to a disk which is not added to the storage pool we need to dig deeper.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:03 AM
  • NTBackup is not supported for Windows Home Server v. 1, since it has difficulties with the tombstones (which are in D:\shares, pointing to the real files on different disks).

You will have to use the console to backup the shared folders to an attached USB disk, which has been declared as backup disk before.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:03 PM

All replies

• How did you setup the backup job? If you are using NTBackup or any third party backup solution these will fail due to the way WHS storage works; D:\shares\****\**** does not contain the actual files, only reparsepoints (tombstones) pointing to the actual file location. For more details please read the Technical Brief "Drive Extender"

If you are using the WHSbackup from the Computers and Backup tab to backup data in your shares to a disk which is not added to the storage pool we need to dig deeper.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:03 AM
  • I'm using microsoft's backup utility and went through the wizzard.  any file i select thats not one of the share folders works fine, but the files in the shares folder cause the deivce not connect error
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:24 AM
  • I'm using microsoft's backup utility and went through the wizzard.  any file i select thats not one of the share folders works fine, but the files in the shares folder cause the deivce not connect error
    Which backup utility?  The one provided through the WHS Console, or the one that is only accessible through the server desktop (which, by the way, logging into the server desktop is unsupported)?  If the latter, that is NTBackup and, as brubber said, that won't work.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:51 AM
  • When I use NTBACKUP and point to D:\Shares I see this error message:

Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Users\Angie\stmt_7602.pdf" - skipped.

When I use NTBACKUP and point to My Network Places I get no error message.

Folder \\Jupiter\Users\Angie  
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:25 PM
  • NTBackup is not supported for Windows Home Server v. 1, since it has difficulties with the tombstones (which are in D:\shares, pointing to the real files on different disks).

You will have to use the console to backup the shared folders to an attached USB disk, which has been declared as backup disk before.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:03 PM