Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

Answers

•  Jeshimon wrote:

As it sits right now OneCare is green and happy on both machines, the circle is working, but...

1.Windows security center on the Vista machine is flagging firewall and malware.  OneCare is happy.

2.On WHS console network health complains about spyware protection, antivirus status, and says the firewall is off on the Vista machine.  OneCare is happy.

3.On the MCE machine OneCare is happy despite the fact that it insists backup has never run, though it runs nightly due to WHS.

To quote Led Zeppelin 'Communication breakdown'!

These products all need to learn to work and play well together but the symptoms of the lack of communication change on a day to day to day basis.  I've no idea whose opinion is the most reliable, but they all seem to disagree. 

I finally got the last of these symptoms cleared up tonight.  Thanks Stephen for the help in getting to the root of the problem.

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/showpost.aspx?postid=2300238&siteid=2&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

Has the steps to the success.

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:46 AM
  • Competitive products are doing it.  I think MS thought WHS would not catch on.  Now that is has, they need to catch up.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:09 AM

All replies

• I think it would be great if MS extended some of the functionality of WHS to include some of the freatures of WS 2003 such as VPN, email, and firewall protection.  Anyone else have suggestions?
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 3:44 AM
  •  Kbtarl wrote:
    I think it would be great if MS extended some of the functionality of WHS to include some of the freatures of WS 2003 such as VPN, email, and firewall protection.  Anyone else have suggestions?
    The WHS team has said that they don't intend to include email functionality in WHS, because the vast majority of the target audience are happy with their current solution, which is usually hosted by either their ISP or an online provider like HotMail or Google.

You probably won't see anything more than Windows Firewall on WHS, because Microsoft doesn't intend the product to sit on the edge of your home network as a replacement for your router.

As for VPN, I'm not sure what kind of VPN access you would need that you won't already have by using the WHS Remote Access web site and Remote Desktop to connect to your home PCs (running XP Pro or Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate; the home SKUs don't support incoming Remote Desktop connections because of OS limitations). Can you explain what you think you would need? I agree that some additional VPN functionality would be useful, though, just in general. It's just that I don't know what you're looking for; maybe it's already there.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 1:15 PM
  • As it sits right now OneCare is green and happy on both machines, the circle is working, but...

1.Windows security center on the Vista machine is flagging firewall and malware.  OneCare is happy.

2.On WHS console network health complains about spyware protection, antivirus status, and says the firewall is off on the Vista machine.  OneCare is happy.

3.On the MCE machine OneCare is happy despite the fact that it insists backup has never run, though it runs nightly due to WHS.

To quote Led Zepelin 'Communication breakdown'!

These products all need to learn to work and play well together but the symptoms of the lack of communication change on a day to day to day basis.  I've no idea whose opinion is the most reliable, but they all seem to disagree. 

Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:55 PM
  • It's my understanding that OneCare doesn't talk to the Windows Security Center, it (sort of) replaces it. Since WHS is reporting network health based on the status as reported by the security center, WHS is going to complain.
    Sunday, September 2, 2007 10:07 PM
  • It surprises me though that this problem suddenly manifested itself after not having done so in several weeks of everything working as I would expect.  Things just change on a day to day basis now.

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:13 AM
  • The three products take turns complaining about each other.  Sometimes it is 2 on 1.

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:18 AM
  • So now I get a printer driver (which I have already installed) that turns WHS icon in systray red, I installed it twice and the console is still red.

This just keeps getting worse.

Monday, September 3, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Any idea how to fix it?

Sunday, September 9, 2007 5:39 PM
  • So is this a flaw slated to be fixed or something in the 'just live with it' category.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Jeshimon,

Before you jump down the throat of WHS, could you explain what driver you are using for what printer.

Also, is the driver certified for use with Server 2003?

Colin

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:13 PM
  • The driver comes as a Windows automatic update on my WHS, HP 1018 printer.  Since Windows automatic update insists I need it I have to assume is is certified.

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:21 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    It's my understanding that OneCare doesn't talk to the Windows Security Center, it (sort of) replaces it. Since WHS is reporting network health based on the status as reported by the security center, WHS is going to complain.

So is this a flaw slated to be fixed or something in the 'just live with it' category.

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I doubt that WHS is going to change to accomodate OneCare any time soon. Replacing the Security Center is the problem; having that branch of Microsoft work with it instead of replacing it is the solution. If you aren't willing to press OneCare for a solution, then it's a "just live with it" item.
    Monday, October 1, 2007 6:39 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I doubt that WHS is going to change to accomodate OneCare any time soon. Replacing the Security Center is the problem; having that branch of Microsoft work with it instead of replacing it is the solution. If you aren't willing to press OneCare for a solution, then it's a "just live with it" item.

Ken,

I wish I could say I hadn't tried on more than one occasion; but I have, to no avail.  It seems they are forbidden to work and play well together.

Jim

Monday, October 1, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I doubt that WHS is going to change to accomodate OneCare any time soon. Replacing the Security Center is the problem; having that branch of Microsoft work with it instead of replacing it is the solution. If you aren't willing to press OneCare for a solution, then it's a "just live with it" item.

Ken,

I wish I could say I hadn't tried on more than one occasion; but I have, to no avail.  It seems they are forbidden to work and play well together.

Jim

Monday, October 1, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:

Ken,

Jim

Like this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=297730&SiteID=168

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=287219&SiteID=168

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=296774&SiteID=168

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=295247&SiteID=168

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=290086&SiteID=168

Jim

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Been busy, haven't you? Smile

Honestly, I really don't think it's going to happen from the WHS side. There are other AV products that do exactly the same thing (sidestep the security center), and I doubt that Microsoft is going to want to put itself in the positon of favoring it's own product over a competitor's product that takes the same shortcut...
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 1:51 AM
  •  Well kinda, but only one of those threads started with me and that was early in September.  I want WLOC to WORK ON WHS, failing that at least they can play well together.  I know, wish in one hand...

I feel like this a no win, but I feel pretty strongly.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:24 AM
  • There's two points I can'r see happening

One, the security department isn't going to spend too much time on what essentially is a deprecated product, that is W2003.

Two, if they did provide 'hooks' for their own product and not for all other competing companies, the competion authorities would be really on Microsoft's back.

Personally, I would rather have  third party product(s) anyway; I've never been a fan of Microsoft's' security products.

Colin

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I had this problem and I managed to fix it via using the "add printer" option  and saying I "have disk" and point it at the drive I downloaded.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 10:02 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:

Ken,

Jim

Since you were willing to try a new product in WHS why are you not running the Onecare 2.0 beta.

Please install ONECare 2.0 Beta on your vista PC and al your concerns will fade awayyyyyyyy at leaset for the VISTA PC.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 12:29 PM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Please install ONECare 2.0 Beta on your vista PC and al your concerns will fade awayyyyyyyy at leaset for the VISTA PC.

I am running WLOC version 2.0.2350.10 here and have been running the beta since it was 1.6 in preparation for 2.0.  Actually 1.5 played better with WHS than 2.0 does.  The machine I see these problems on is a Vista Ultimate.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:32 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Personally, I would rather have  third party product(s) anyway; I've never been a fan of Microsoft's' security products.

Colin

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.  I like several things about WLOC.   

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

As it sits right now OneCare is green and happy on both machines, the circle is working, but...

To quote Led Zeppelin 'Communication breakdown'!

I finally got the last of these symptoms cleared up tonight.  Thanks Stephen for the help in getting to the root of the problem.

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/showpost.aspx?postid=2300238&siteid=2&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

Has the steps to the success.

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:46 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    It's my understanding that OneCare doesn't talk to the Windows Security Center, it (sort of) replaces it. Since WHS is reporting network health based on the status as reported by the security center, WHS is going to complain.

I am new here but I have a related question. Will WHS support Network Access Protection (NAP) as a sever platform ?
    I recently read that NAP is to be included into Server 2008 and Windows XP SP3. It is already embedded in Vista as a management console add-in.  According to the windows technet page NAP enforces network health (up to date virus signatures, active firewalls, etc.) on client machines by monitoring the Windows Security Center. Non-compliant machines are denied unlimited network access and are directed to a "remediation server" where up to date AV files ,etc. can be auto downloaded.

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/45401-1.html?topic=security&CMP=OTC-RSS
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545879.aspx

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:42 AM
  • I completely agree with you. I think that this would be the natural integration between to products that are intended to make your life easier. I think that it's crucial that OneCare and WHS work well together. I just can't explain myself why this hasn't happened. It's like the 3 PC limitation and multiple Live ID needed to manage more than  3 PC's. What was the  team doing when designing these specs??? I also suggested these during development and also got nowhere.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Competitive products are doing it.  I think MS thought WHS would not catch on.  Now that is has, they need to catch up.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:09 AM