local web server or firewall issue - blocking Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been running my WHS for a few years now and love it, but I’ve just installed a new WEB server W2K3 R2 in order to run a SharePoint test site. The web server is running in a domain environment, but the WHS is running with the WORKGROUP. On the same network.

I’ve now got an error message with my remote access “local web server of firewall issue”, I’ve rest my ISP router and that hasn’t solved the problem nothing has change on the home server with the exception of the standard windows updates.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Chris

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:32 PM

Answers

• With most consumer routers, you can only forward ports to a single machine. If you've configured your new Windows Server 2003 R2 server to use the same ports as windows Home Server, and configured your router to allow access to that server, you will naturally no longer have access to your server's Remote Access web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:49 PM
  • There's nothing that's supported, no. You can configure URL redirection , if you know something about IIS, how http requests work, etc. but depending on your specific configuration that may not do the job for you either. A reverse proxy server is the traditional way to deal with this, but that's way off-topic for these forums, I'm afraid.

In general it would be an either/or proposition, yes.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:08 AM

All replies

• With most consumer routers, you can only forward ports to a single machine. If you've configured your new Windows Server 2003 R2 server to use the same ports as windows Home Server, and configured your router to allow access to that server, you will naturally no longer have access to your server's Remote Access web site.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond Ken, from reading your post it would appear that it’s WHS or server 2003 – one or the other, is there any way to set up my home server to point requests to the 2003 Server?

Friday, January 15, 2010 10:55 PM
  • There's nothing that's supported, no. You can configure URL redirection , if you know something about IIS, how http requests work, etc. but depending on your specific configuration that may not do the job for you either. A reverse proxy server is the traditional way to deal with this, but that's way off-topic for these forums, I'm afraid.

In general it would be an either/or proposition, yes.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:08 AM