Unable to import OFX and QIF files -- Money 2005 UK on windows 10 pro (x64) machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having various issues importing statements from different UK financial institutions including HSBC and the Post Office.  I am using the last UK working version of money, Money 2005 UK, with the qe2 patch installed, version 14.0.120.1105.  This is running on a windows 10 pro machine, 64 bit operating system.  I have not had to modify anything, registry, compability, etc to have the programme working.

I am getting a variety of errors trying to import files from financial providers.  This includes OFX and QIF files.  The errors vary, including you cannot perform this operation right now, there is an online operation in progress; file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data, and think there are other variations but cannot replicate them now.

I have run both the quick and standard file repair.  This has not fixed the issue.  I have also read quite a bit about the mnyob99.dll replacement.  I have tried both of them (https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money) neither worked.  

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:19 PM

All replies

• Block Money from Internet access so it will not attempt online operations.
    https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/
    has the write-up. Gives speed opening and closing!

Let's hope it gets rid of the "online operation in progress".

Access the bank's and other FI websites with a browser, rather than using the built-in browser from Money.

It is possible that one or more of the FIs is making bad OFX or QIF files. There is an OFX file testing utility. It is arcane, but it can be useful.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Thanks Cal, will try and revert.  
    Friday, February 3, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Hi, have blocked the Money 2005 access by modifying firewall.  I have Norton Security so have blocked through its firewall control.  Cannot access MyMoney etc so assume is working.

Have just downloaded an ofx statement from HSBC and a qif from Post Office Mastercard.  On the qif getting "File {location} is not recognised by Money as an Active Statement File.  Not information has been added to your Money file."  On the ofx statement, "The file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data.  Please download the file again.  If the problem continues, contact your financial institution."

The files that do seem to work occassionally are qif, but is hit and miss.  

Friday, February 3, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Try making a new Money file (File->New->NewFile), with a name such as test2.mny or some such. See if that file will File->Import those files. The most-recently-used list at the bottom of the File menu is an easy way to switch between files once inside Money.

There is an OFX file analyzer that was used by financial institutions to test out if their OFX files were syntactically correct. Not that easy to use to pinpoint an error, but it is easy to get a good/bad indication.

ofxanalyzer.msi http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/366.aspx
    For lastest version:
                    MD5                             SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    086933f6073341ed574053b9d20aeab1 a39fe4a50a66eabbcf9e721b544df1b2813c0f60

There is no similar thing for QIF files as far as I know. For them, examine them with a simple text editor such as Notepad. The first line of a QIF file would be "!Type:Bank" for a bank, something else for a credit card.

Then there is a series of records that each end with a line with just a "^" on it. The first line of a record is a date such as "D10/11/2008". Whether that would be October or November depends on your local settings. For you that would probably be November.

The other lines you will be able to figure out. Anyway, look for an anomaly. Another thing you can do is remove some records to see if that makes the QIF file acceptable. If you import a QIF file as a statement, Money will ignore a record that duplicates an a previous entry... same date, same payee, same amount. So if you are testing with partial QIF files, you won't be duplicating entries.

I have had times when an FI was giving me bad OFX files. I made a little program to correct them. They were very specific.

A classic OFX problem is that an ofx file should never contain an ampersand character unless it is the lead character in an "escape" sequence. The one that occurs most often is the five character sequence "&" which would be used instead of an ampersand (because the ampersand has that other use). If you find an ampersand character in an OFX file, it can be looked at. That is the classic easiest patch you can do to make the substitution.

Keep extra file copies or backups in case you do something that you want to undo.

Friday, February 3, 2017 2:36 PM
  • Have tried the same two imports with new Money file.  Exact same errors as on live file.  
    Friday, February 3, 2017 4:28 PM