Is this the same as forums.microsoft.com/sync RRS feed

• Question

•  

I think there is a C++ technology called Sync Services, and also an implementation of that for ADO.NET.  Am I correct in my understanding; what is the relation between the two

What I'm referring to:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/default.aspx 

The naming is a bit confusing

• Moved by Tina_Tian Friday, April 22, 2011 8:01 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, October 20, 2008 5:33 PM

Answers

• Chris,

The link you specified is our MSDN portal and is associated with the same set of technologies.  The Sync Framework leverages a provider model that allows you to implement your own provider based upon the needs of the store you are trying to sync.  The Sync Framework has both a managed layer (C#, VB.NET) and a native layer (C++) and providers can be written in any of these langiages.  The Sync Framework ships a handful of providers out of the box:

• Sync Services for ADO.NET - series of providers focused on synchronizing databases (managed only)
    • Sync Services for Files - series of providers focused on syncing files (native and managed)

Does provide some clarity?

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Microsoft

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:10 AM

All replies

• Chris,

The link you specified is our MSDN portal and is associated with the same set of technologies.  The Sync Framework leverages a provider model that allows you to implement your own provider based upon the needs of the store you are trying to sync.  The Sync Framework has both a managed layer (C#, VB.NET) and a native layer (C++) and providers can be written in any of these langiages.  The Sync Framework ships a handful of providers out of the box:

• Sync Services for ADO.NET - series of providers focused on synchronizing databases (managed only)
    • Sync Services for Files - series of providers focused on syncing files (native and managed)

Does provide some clarity?

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Microsoft

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Yes, Thank you

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:38 PM