can wga be used on another system? RRS feed

• Question

• hi there,

i have a windows xp genuine advantage kit with cd and key from an old system that i built several years ago,  the system motherboard actually went dead, and the remains of the system was broken up and sold etc.. i still have the installation cd that microsoft sent me along with the invoice and key etc.. my question is.. could i re-use this windows xp and key on a another 2nd hand system that has no operating system installed? 

any information thx..

Shaun
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:35 PM

Answers

• Rosenrot,

The mention about transfer sounds like the standard Microsoft EULA provision for Microsoft retail software that allows the software to be sold independent of the computer, as long as all the component "pieces" are sold as a collection.

For typical Microsoft retail software, that would mean any sale would have to include the Genuine CD, the EULA, and the Certificate of Authenticity.  Again, this is all spelled out in the EULA.

You might want to contact the Microsoft corporate offices for GB on Monday to see if they can shaed any more light on the topic.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, February 23, 2009 6:55 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• Roesenrot,

It is my understanding that the License that comes with the WGA kit for USA customers is a Full Retail License for Windows XP, most often for XP Pro, as this seems to be the most commonly pirated edition of XP.

Full retail licenses for XP can be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is removed from the old computer so that both the old computer and the new computer are NOT using the same license at the same time.  So under the circumstances you mention, if the WGA Kit was a full retail license, you can use the WGA Kit on that other computer.

The best way to be sure about this question is to read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) that came with your WGA Kit.  If there wasn't a printed EULA in the package, or it has been misplaced, you can try to find the electronic version by:
    1.  Inserting the WGA CD into a computer and searching for it
    2.  Install the XP OS from the CD, and then follow these steps:  Click Start>Run, type winver and click OK.  In the resulting window, click on the link to see the Microsoft Software Licensing Terms.

We have read posts from forum participants from other regions of the world who have reported that their WGA Kits came with a Supplemental End User Llicensing Agreement that rescinded the normal right to move the license from one computer to another,  IIRC these were Asian regions.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:16 PM
  • thanks for your reply.. iam UK, the old system is long gone, almost 2 years ago.. the date on the invoice is 2006. iam currently looking on ebay for a server with no operating system and was hoping this xp would be ok to use..  the invoice says near the bottom that any transfer of your software license in accordance with the EULA must include a copy of this order confirmation.

I only have a dell with vista on at the moment, therefore i cant install and check..  i can not see any EULA documents within the cd itself.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Rosenrot,

The mention about transfer sounds like the standard Microsoft EULA provision for Microsoft retail software that allows the software to be sold independent of the computer, as long as all the component "pieces" are sold as a collection.

For typical Microsoft retail software, that would mean any sale would have to include the Genuine CD, the EULA, and the Certificate of Authenticity.  Again, this is all spelled out in the EULA.

You might want to contact the Microsoft corporate offices for GB on Monday to see if they can shaed any more light on the topic.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, February 23, 2009 6:55 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:52 AM