More Home Server Connector Software Will Not Install RRS feed

• Question

• This is the same symptom reported in another thread, but the answers there did not work for me.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2442024&SiteID=50

Everything was running fine with WHS, powerpack 1, and all system updates until I deleted a file by mistake. I decided to reinstall WHS and preserve the backup/share data.

After completing reinstall with powerpack and all system updates, I tried to reconnect from the clients (2 Vista Ultimate, 1 XP Tablet). All failed with this error when I tried to enter the password.

"An Error Occurred

This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact window home server support"

Nothing I tried worked until I reinstalled the WHS again. This time I connected the clients successfully after the initial reinstall, before updating the system and installing power pack. After connecting clients I did the updates and everything is again working.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:12 PM

Answers

• If I tried to install connector from any source the same error message that the program could not be installed and to contact program support

There are 4 machines..2 HP Media mavhines, 1-Toshiba and one XPC Shuttle. The errors reported were all the same from all machines. 

Cured by reloading the Server software and new connectors on all machines.

I Dont know the reason for the error but am happy that its all resolved for now.

The strange thing is why did this happen to quite a few users all at about the sasme time.?

Frank

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• I get the same error.  This morning I noticed a yellow warning indicator that there was a problem with my server, and when I connected it showed that there was an update to the Connector software.  After I downloaded the update and tried to apply it I got the error that pkorona-live got so I read a forum post that recommended that I install the Connector software from the Software folder on my server, which uninstalled the Connector on my machine then reinstalled, but after putting in my server password that error popped up almost immediately.  Now I don't have the Connector software installed on my main XP machine.  Help!
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Same here when I opened my server this morning.

For the moment I turned off Network Health alerts.

Glad it was more than just my server.

Frank

Kenmore, WA
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

Heres a followup, Everything seems to be working. All folders are accessable, secure users folders are secure all machines can see each other. . I have 4 machines running and all of the 4 client machines show the same error that the Network is at risk. In addition, all show that a Connector upgrade is available but after downloading it I cannot run it as I get a further error that a folder/file is missing.

I will wait a while and then I guess  if no cure is forth comming I will just reload the Server.

Frank

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  frankjg wrote:
    Heres a followup, Everything seems to be working. All folders are accessable, secure users folders are secure all machines can see each other. . I have 4 machines running and all of the 4 client machines show the same error that the Network is at risk. In addition, all show that a Connector upgrade is available but after downloading it I cannot run it as I get a further error that a folder/file is missing.

Sounds like Power Pack 1 got installed on your server.  What exactly is the error message you are seeing?  Are you trying to install the Connector software from the server or are you copying it to the client desktop?  Have you ever moved the Home Server Connector Software folder from \\server\software?

frankjg wrote:
    I will wait a while and then I guess  if no cure is forth comming I will just reload the Server.

Frank

Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Nothing has been changed on my server, I just download the update from my main machine (client), then after it installs it asks for my server password, then when I enter it I get the error above almost immediately.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:28 PM

• To start with Last night at shutdown all was ok.

At sign on today I received the alert of Network Home Server Health at risk. Went to counsel and clicked on Net Health and saw that a Connector download was required. I downloaded the file and ran it with the result of this error message " The Operation cannot be completed at this time and to contact Product Support"

I have changed no folders and moved no files.

I tried to run the connector both from the client and the file on the server with same results.

I do have Power Pack 1 installed

Interesting as everything seems to be working OK except for the error message.

Several others are seeing this problem all since last night.

Thanks

Frank

Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:29 PM
  •  frankjg wrote:
    To start with Last night at shutdown all was ok.

At sign on today I received the alert of Network Home Server Health at risk. Went to counsel and clicked on Net Health and saw that a Connector download was required. I downloaded the file and ran it with the result of this error message " The Operation cannot be completed at this time and to contact Product Support"

I have changed no folders and moved no files.

I tried to run the connector both from the client and the file on the server with same results.

I do have Power Pack 1 installed

Did you ever upgrade the Connector software on any of your clients after installing Power Pack 1?  If not, then you need to upgrade it.  Open IE and go to http://server:55000 (replacing "server" with the name of your server).  Then click Download Now to install the new Connector software.

frankjg wrote:
    Interesting as everything seems to be working OK except for the error message.

Several others are seeing this problem all since last night.

Thanks

Frank

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I cannot install the Connector form any source.

This whole thing is strange as I have not changed anything since yesterday.

Should UPNP be enabled in the router?

Well as of right now I have deleted all server clients and am reinstalling Server on its machine.

Frank

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:59 PM
  •  frankjg wrote:
    I cannot install the Connector form any source.

What happens when you try to install from \\server\software\home connector software\setup.exe?  If you get an error message, what does it say?

What happens when you try to install from http://server:55000?  If you get an error message, what does it say?

frankjg wrote:
    This whole thing is strange as I have not changed anything since yesterday.

Should UPNP be enabled in the router?

It should be however you had originally set it up.

frankjg wrote:
    Well as of right now I have deleted all server clients and am reinstalling Server on its machine.

Frank

Do you have an HP MediaSmart Server or did you build your own?

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:25 AM
  • If I tried to install connector from any source the same error message that the program could not be installed and to contact program support

There are 4 machines..2 HP Media mavhines, 1-Toshiba and one XPC Shuttle. The errors reported were all the same from all machines. 

Cured by reloading the Server software and new connectors on all machines.

I Dont know the reason for the error but am happy that its all resolved for now.

The strange thing is why did this happen to quite a few users all at about the sasme time.?

Frank

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:53 AM
  • 2010 and this problem still exists. I have trawled through the web looking for an answer that works. Can't connect whether it be from a web browser http://homeserver:55000 or Direct Network link \\homeserver\software\Home Server Connector Software I have 2 Win7 clients and neither can install connector software. Anyone????????
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:55 AM
  • What happens.exactly?  You might be better off starting your own question.
    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:16 PM
  • *** Here is what resolved it for me ***

After some research I checked the Event Viewer > HomeServer on my WHS and found that the following error was repeated numerous times:

"Failed to issue certificate"

I was able to produce one of these events on the server everytime I tried to authenticate with the WHS Connector on my client pc. I googled the above message and found that the culprit was a missing MakeCert.exe. This is part of the .NET Framework SDK (SDK not re-destributable). I just copied this exe form another machine to C:\Windows\System32 on the WHS (I found where it was looking for it using Filemon) and everything worked fine for me.

If you do have this exe, there were also some other reports of MakeCert.exe not being able to create the key in a folder. This was not my issue but apparently granting SERVER\Administrators Full Access to the following folder resolved it for them:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 12:56 AM