none
Contradicting information about MCSE on Windows Server 2003 exams RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all and moderator,

I got a problem about exams  070-290/291/293/294/297

Previously at this page http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-290&locale=en-us#fbid=OIjsJZRYOcF

It said

Overview
    Preparing for an Exam
    This exam is scheduled to retire on July 31, 2013.

However, i found that on another page    "Retired exams"   http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#fbid=OIjsJZRYOcF  

At the "Windows Server" section, it said that MCSE on Windows Server 2003 related exams was retired on JAN-31-2013

70-290

Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment

January 31, 2013

70-291

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-293

Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-294

Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-297

Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

May i ask, which information are correct?   Jan-31 or July-31, moreover, if I send my staff to take these exams, will they get certified as "MCSE on Windows Server 2003" ?

Hoping for your reply soon.

Larry Chan

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

This is the official explenation for the Inactive state:

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2011/03/23/transcript-and-certificate-changes-coming-soon.aspx#fbid=u0CTlaxt0ns

"many of our certifications now feature an “inactive date” which signifies either that your certification is no longer in mainstream demand, that Microsoft no longer supports the product on which the certification is based, or that you have not met recertification requirements (if any). You won’t always see this field on your transcript—only if and when we’ve determined an inactive date for that certification. For affected certifications, you’ll start seeing inactive dates show up in June. (You can find more information on inactive dates here.)

Let’s take a moment to discuss the Inactive Date, because I’m sure that some of you are reading that phrase and thinking “that’s Microsoft-speak for decertification date.”  It isn’t—in fact, even if all of your certifications go inactive, you’ll still have access to your MCP benefits, and your inactive certifications will still appear on your transcript. All that’s changing is that we’re signaling to you, your clients, and employers that these particular certifications have outlived their market relevance.  Just to clarify what we mean by market relevance is that in most cases Microsoft isn't even supporting the technology through mainstream support.  In other cases, it may be that the way that the technology was used (many years ago or with cloud it could even be a few months ago) when it was first released has changed, because we all know that technology is ever evolving and changing at such a rapid pace.  This means the certification may have validated how to use the technology in a different way and since then we have not re-validated the skills necessary to use the technology in the market."

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu Twitter: @dnyvandam

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • ... i today find out that Microsoft has very recently moved the  070-290/291/293/294/297 exams  to the "Retired Exam" list and marked those exams retirement date back to a previous point in time (JAN-31) which confused me.

I find the Microsoft Learning website simply cannot be trusted as a source of accurate information. Frequently it contains conflicting information on different pages about exams and certification retirements. But the retired exams page goes a step further, with the 2003 exams listed as both retired on Jan 31, 2013 and due to retire on July 31, 2013:

Exams scheduled to retire

Find exams scheduled to be retired in the next 12 months, listed by technology.

Windows Server

Exam

Retiring on July 31, 2013

70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment

70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

70-293: Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

70-294: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

70-297: Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure

70-298: Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

Retired exams

Windows Server

70-290

January 31, 2013

70-291

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-293

January 31, 2013

70-294

Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-297

Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure

January 31, 2013

70-298

Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

January 31, 2013

70-299

Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

January 31, 2013

and I never understood why the 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional exam is in the Windows Server section and not the Windows section.  I doubt Microsoft cares though.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

The MCSE 2003 certication is not yet on the retirement list so it should be valid until July 31:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certifications.aspx#fbid=nTemxTEp9eN

You can also have a look at post discussing exam retirement:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/2e8c94e1-255d-4919-a013-4413357bb7e0

Why invest in passing 10 year old certification?  Currently most enviroments run on Server 2008 and Server 2012 will become mainstream in the next few years.

Having your staff achieve MCSA on Windows Server 2008 or MCSA on Windows Server 2012 certification might a better investment.

MCSA on Server 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx#fbid=nTemxTEp9eN

MCSA on Server 2012:http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx#fbid=nTemxTEp9eN

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu Twitter: @dnyvandam

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Dear Danny,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My reason is, there are some HRs in our area prefers "Certified Engineer" over "Solution Expert" for bidding government projects.

I know that there are still few months to head for MCSE 2003 and i have to sent my technicians to earn that title, however, i today find out that Microsoft has very recently moved the  070-290/291/293/294/297 exams  to the "Retired Exam" list and marked those exams retirement date back to a previous point in time (JAN-31) which confused me.

By the way, i also discover that my "MCP" title which i earned 13 years ago was now at "Inactive" state, sad.

Regards,

Larry

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Hi Larry,

This is the official explenation for the Inactive state:

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2011/03/23/transcript-and-certificate-changes-coming-soon.aspx#fbid=u0CTlaxt0ns

"many of our certifications now feature an “inactive date” which signifies either that your certification is no longer in mainstream demand, that Microsoft no longer supports the product on which the certification is based, or that you have not met recertification requirements (if any). You won’t always see this field on your transcript—only if and when we’ve determined an inactive date for that certification. For affected certifications, you’ll start seeing inactive dates show up in June. (You can find more information on inactive dates here.)

Let’s take a moment to discuss the Inactive Date, because I’m sure that some of you are reading that phrase and thinking “that’s Microsoft-speak for decertification date.”  It isn’t—in fact, even if all of your certifications go inactive, you’ll still have access to your MCP benefits, and your inactive certifications will still appear on your transcript. All that’s changing is that we’re signaling to you, your clients, and employers that these particular certifications have outlived their market relevance.  Just to clarify what we mean by market relevance is that in most cases Microsoft isn't even supporting the technology through mainstream support.  In other cases, it may be that the way that the technology was used (many years ago or with cloud it could even be a few months ago) when it was first released has changed, because we all know that technology is ever evolving and changing at such a rapid pace.  This means the certification may have validated how to use the technology in a different way and since then we have not re-validated the skills necessary to use the technology in the market."

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • ... i today find out that Microsoft has very recently moved the  070-290/291/293/294/297 exams  to the "Retired Exam" list and marked those exams retirement date back to a previous point in time (JAN-31) which confused me.

I find the Microsoft Learning website simply cannot be trusted as a source of accurate information. Frequently it contains conflicting information on different pages about exams and certification retirements. But the retired exams page goes a step further, with the 2003 exams listed as both retired on Jan 31, 2013 and due to retire on July 31, 2013:

Exams scheduled to retire

Find exams scheduled to be retired in the next 12 months, listed by technology.

Windows Server

Exam

Retiring on July 31, 2013

70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment

70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

70-293: Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

70-294: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

70-297: Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure

70-298: Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

Retired exams

Windows Server

70-290

January 31, 2013

70-291

January 31, 2013

70-293

January 31, 2013

70-294

January 31, 2013

70-297

January 31, 2013

70-298

Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

January 31, 2013

70-299

Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network

January 31, 2013

and I never understood why the 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional exam is in the Windows Server section and not the Windows section.  I doubt Microsoft cares though.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Yes, that's why I'm so confused, I'm not concerning about the validity of those certifications, the industry would have their own conclusion.

My primary concern is, for the remaining two months until 31-July, if my staff pass these Windows Server 2003 exams right before 31-July, will they be issued the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification via the MCP portal?

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:29 AM
  • I need to know the answer to Larry's question.   I have two more exams to pass for an MCSE on Windows 2003 server.   I want the certification so that I can get college credit.  This is the only thing holding back a diploma.  Additionally, the company I work for is still using Windows 2003 server and probably won't budge until there is no hardware left to run it.   This process has taken several years and I would like to see it blossom even if it is short lived.

Monday, May 27, 2013 3:46 AM