Connecting a Home PC to Two WHS on the Same Network RRS feed

• Question

• Currently on my home network I have four (4) PC's and two (2) WHS connected to it . The first WHS I built and added to the network is the one I use for my backups and all of my shared data, my primary server. The second server was build to store all of my video files on. Both have duplication turned on for important folders/data.

For the longest time I've been running the MY Movies software (client & server) on one of the PC's but storing the data on my video server and running the client version on the other PC's that then connect to the PC with the server (database). I want to upgrade My Movies and move to the new WHS version of My Movies which I will install on my video server and then upgrade the clients on my PC's so they point to the server but for the life of me haven't figured how to connect to both servers at the same time from the PC's. Only one instance of connector shows up on each PC and it connects to the primary server when I log in.

How do I setup connector so it will give me the option to choose which server I want to log into? I also want to setup Media Center Connector so it connects to the video server but right now when I try running Media Center Connector it prompts me for the server password and connects me to my primary server. How do I get it to connect to my video server?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• Currently on my home network I have four (4) PC's and two (2) WHS connected to it . The first WHS I built and added to the network is the one I use for my backups and all of my shared data, my primary server. The second server was build to store all of my video files on. Both have duplication turned on for important folders/data.

For the longest time I've been running the MY Movies software (client & server) on one of the PC's but storing the data on my video server and running the client version on the other PC's that then connect to the PC with the server (database). I want to upgrade My Movies and move to the new WHS version of My Movies which I will install on my video server and then upgrade the clients on my PC's so they point to the server but for the life of me haven't figured how to connect to both servers at the same time from the PC's. Only one instance of connector shows up on each PC and it connects to the primary server when I log in.

How do I setup connector so it will give me the option to choose which server I want to log into?

The only thing you can do is run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe every time you want to move your client from one server to another.

I also want to setup Media Center Connector so it connects to the video server but right now when I try running Media Center Connector it prompts me for the server password and connects me to my primary server. How do I get it to connect to my video server?

Probably because that's the server the client is currently joined to.  Try running discovery.exe and joining the other server, then run the Media Center Connector.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Last night I shutdown my primary WHS and ran discovery and connected to my video WHS. Then ran the WMC connector and set that up. I tried to setup My Movies Client on the PC but the only server it identified was the primary server (which was powered off) and if I tried to enter the name of the video server it didn't find it. May be a problem with the My Movies setup, I'll play with that tomorrow.

Once I gave up on My Movies for the night I powered up my primary server and re-ran discovery so I could connect it up so my back-ups would run.

Guess I know what I'll be playing with this weekend.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:32 PM