Computer Tracking RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, 

One of my laptops was stolen Friday Jan 9, but Live One Care says it last logged in Wednesday Jan 14th.  Is there a way to tell where it logged in from?

Thanks,

Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• Hello, Arthur.
    Sorry to read that your laptop was stolen. :-(

In the past, we've had a few other people with the same issue and the official word that I got was that a law enforcement agency may request this information from Microsoft using the number that they have for contacting Microsoft, as long as it is an active case and enough information is provided to Microsoft to get the machine specific information.

However, I recently received an email from someone indicating that this path was not working for law enforcement on their case. I don't know if the original information I had is still valid, but I would suggest asking the police to follow up witn Microsoft via the Law Enforcement contact process. You will need to provide the machine name and your LiveID for your subscription, plus details about the activity that you've observed from the hub machine in order to possibly begin the process.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:05 PM