WHS 2011 - Comparing with 2 Routers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, I have just bought a Windows Home Server 2011 computer. The problem I would like to know if this server could manage with 2 router connections, because we have two Windows 8.1 computers in the Office Suite and one computer in the lounge.

I would like to know if you can connect with the two existing routers with different names (Maybe a different IP addresses). I would say that we have a main router which it's in the lounge and the connections flows through to our Office Suite on the side of our extension building.

I have found a picture from somebody's router's plan which I have found on Google Images which it could be compared to my connections.

Regards, ~Benjamin Hall

Monday, September 22, 2014 4:16 PM

All replies

• If it were me, I would move the WHS to the other side of Router 3 (same as PC3), that is assuming it is modem/router or you have some other method of connecting to the Internet. You do not really need or want it connected directly to the Internet and Router A firewall would protect it. Secondly, I would turn Router B into a Switch as unless you have a real need for two sub-domains, it only complicates things unnecessarily.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, September 22, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Is there other ways to connect, these computers are wireless and they are away from the router. I am just wondering if you have to change the IP or something.

Regards, ~Benjamin Hall

Monday, September 22, 2014 7:25 PM
  • I'm assuming that your WHS actually sits behind ROUTER A which is connected to the Internet and PC3 is connected via wireless  that would be the norm as Phil suggests.

You really need ROUTER B to be an access point, which is wired to an additional LAN connection of ROUTER A (ie you don't want to do any NAT or you may have problems)

PC1 PC2 and LAPTOP would then connect via wireless to the access Point an use the same IP addressing as the WHS (forget any complexity with multiple SSID's at this point)

You dont say if your WHS is doing NAT, DHCP or DNS or relying on ROUTER A to do this.

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:32 PM
  • If the routers are allowing traffic to flow between each machine even if the IP addresses are from different ranges and name resolution works, all you may have to do is to tune the Windows Firewall on the server for incoming rules/Windows Server Connector to allow access from any networks instead of local subnet, if it is not already defaulting to that setting (I'm not sure if I changed it on my WHS 2011 in the past or if it was already that way, in WHS v.1 it had to be done manually).

Anyway, be careful if fiddling with Firewall settings to avoid the need of a reinstall!

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:22 AM