Refresh Install? Restore Files from Backup? RRS feed

• Question

• All:

I am using the earlier version of Vail and would like to install the Vail Refresh.  Can I do the install and then "restore" the media files from an internal Vail backup file?  In other words, I would love to be able to use my networked storage backup to restore the media files I have backed up using Vail instead of downloading them from my cloud storage.

Many thanks,

John

Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

While I have not done this, I think it should work fine but do not know for sure. Hopefully others will be able to confirm the information or not.

Install the Vail Beta Refresh on the system. Do not add the backup drive to the system as it will then be formatted. Using everyones favourite unsupported remote desktop connection, open the shared folders on the server desktop along with an explorer window. You should see your internal backup drive showing as a seperate drive. Simply use normal window copy, paste, moves, etc to copy the data from the backup drive to the newly created shares. Once you have copied the data across the backup drive can be added back in as the backup drive.

With the change to DE in the refresh install, I am not sure whether the old shares show up as non default storage or not and whether if they do the data would be readable or not.

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Monday, September 13, 2010 1:11 AM typo
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:54 AM
  • You can do this, but there are some caveats. You can't restore using the Dashboard interface, only through the Server Backup utility (or wbadmin, if you know how to use that). You should not restore to the root of the shared drives (So rather than restoring Y:\ to X:\, restore the contents of Y:\Pictures to X:\Pictures), and you should not restore ACLs. If you do either, you may cause problems with your shares.

You'll have to restore each share separately.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 13, 2010 3:06 AM