Desktop Access RRS feed

• Question

• I need access to my WHS desktop.  I don't want to configure it for RDC. 

I use to have access via an EXE that I ran from the START-RUN window in windows XP.  It took me straight to the desktop of my WHS similar to PCANYWHERE.

In fact I had set up a short cut to it on my desktop and simple ran it anytime I wanted to get desktop access to my WHS.

I had to rebuild my client box and now I can't remember how I did this and can't find where I read it on a forum.

I just want to get to my desktop from a client box to the WHS on the same WORKGROUP.

What program gives me this access without configuring Remote Desktop Connection.

Thanks
    Friday, October 24, 2008 2:16 PM

Answers

• What program gives me this access without configuring Remote Desktop Connection.

Nothing does. Whatever tool you use, it's still going to be a Remote Desktop connection, or the functional equivalent. PCAnywhere is an example of a functional equivalent, as is GoToMyPC. You have a component that runs on the server and listens for connections, and you have a component on the client that you use to connect to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• What program gives me this access without configuring Remote Desktop Connection.

Nothing does. Whatever tool you use, it's still going to be a Remote Desktop connection, or the functional equivalent. PCAnywhere is an example of a functional equivalent, as is GoToMyPC. You have a component that runs on the server and listens for connections, and you have a component on the client that you use to connect to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:50 PM
  • You probably just created a link to a .rdp connection and saved your settings.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Ken thanks for the reply

Yes it turns out what I was looking for was RDC and I just did not understand that.  When I tried to use RDC I used the wrong static IP and could not get on.

I used mstsc.exe and use the server name and got on just fine.

Thanks for the quick reply....   I now have my short cut back on the desktop.

I also got a static IP from my DSL provider so in the next few weeks I want to try and attach remote access.. :<)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 5:59 PM