"FIX" request presents blank screen RRS feed

• Question

•  

[Vista OS] Wloc is showing green and I believe all is set correctly HOWEVER I'm getting a "FIX" request stating I have security problem(S) that need attention. When I select "FIX" I get a WLOC Blank screen with a small rectangle in the bottom right corner. I can do noting except close the window. Is there a "FIX" for this problem? Thx, in advance, Bigwind

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• hi Bigwind

Having not seen this before I would be getting in touch with support found through here http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1875209&SiteID=2

chuck

Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:57 PM
  • I was directed here by Chck W. a Forum moderator who has NOT seen this problem before?

[Vista OS] WLOC is showing green and I believe all is set correctly HOWEVER I'm getting a "FIX" request stating I have security problem(S) that need attention. When I select "FIX" I get a WLOC Blank screen with a small rectangle in the bottom right corner. I can do noting except close the window. Is there a "FIX" for this problem? Thx, in advance, Bigwind

Pictures of both screens are scrollng on my page in My Spaces

Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:34 AM
  • Chuck I followed the link you provided and it looks like I've posed back to this same forum? Was this what you intended? thanks for your help! The good news is the problem doesn't SEEM to be affecting my computer...AS BEST I CAN TELL?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:39 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  All seems well with OneCare.  I am running the OneCare hub on my main computer with two other clients also running the service.  All OneCare circles are green and everything seems to be running fine, EXCEPT - I have a message that reads...

"Problems were found on your computer"  with a fix button next to the message.

When I click the Fix button, I get a blank screen with a Title Bar that reads...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\GTOneCare\HTML\GTAgent\html\index.htm

I have located this index.htm file and tried to load it separate from OneCare with the same results.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Hi Big

Yes the link would get you back here to find help, if the help center does not work from the UI in OneCare and there is another link to try too http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 it too will get you back to the forums but if you fellow the links in the post you can find help. I merged both of your post into the same thread so we would not be double posting.

chuck

Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  

I'm having the same issue....Has anything been resoved?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  Skynard wrote:

I'm having the same issue....Has anything been resoved?

Thanks

I don't know the cause, Skynard. So, please contact support and do let us know what resolves the problem!

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:31 AM

• I've done 2 rounds with support and their fixes haven't corrected it. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Live OneCare 3 times. The problem disappeared for 7 minutes the 1st time, several hours the 2nd time, and for no time at all in each case before returning. I've done some things with new administrative accounts, run extensive virus scans, checked for spyware and whatnot-nothing I can find. When the support crew gave me directions to send them a support file, Hotmail said the zipped data log was too big to virus scan and wouldn't attach it to my email. My Gmail screamed that the zipped data file had a virus and wouldn't send it. Only the email account I have from my college would send it out. If someone finds an answer to this, I'd love to know.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I too have uninstalled and reinstalled

Ive also told support (that told me to do this) that given the froums on this that I later discovered, his advice was likely to be useless. I believe it is likely to be a VISTA problem in which case by now microsoft should have invented a fix or patch or whatever they are called [it is likely to be in the tiniest bit of code hence a reinstall is like using a sledge hammer...]

I reckon everything is working fine but like everyone else I would pefer it to show green rather than orange.

Cant give any more time to this one, but will check this forum every so often

Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:35 PM
  • I have the same problem. I  occurred after a Windows update.  Removing the update cured it but as soon as the update loaded again the problem came back.  Reinstalling fixed it for a moment.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 7:53 AM
  •  Mark Sardar wrote:

I have the same problem. I  occurred after a Windows update.  Removing the update cured it but as soon as the update loaded again the problem came back.  Reinstalling fixed it for a moment.

just out of interest what was the name of the update

thanks

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:32 PM

• It was probably Live OneCare 2.0. I had a batch of updates hit me after the holidays and that's when this happened (circa January 17th). I've gotten it to stop throwing up warnings about problems and go back to the green status but the problem is still there. I could be wrong about which one it is, though: I originally thought that OneCare was having problems with another one of my programs and didn't think to look at what update from that period caused the problem until another series of updates rolled through.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Has anyone been able to get this problem resolved?  I have been on the chat line and on the phone numerous times with OneCare support and they have been unable to resolve this problem -- even with complete remote access to my computer.  The last tech tried to convince me to drop the issue and just "live with it".
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:21 PM
  • No luck on this end. I'm at the point of living with it. Online support gave me several options that haven't worked, I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, nothing makes it go away for long. I think it's one for the blackboard . . . .
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:00 PM
  •  Mrs. P wrote:
    Has anyone been able to get this problem resolved?  I have been on the chat line and on the phone numerous times with OneCare support and they have been unable to resolve this problem -- even with complete remote access to my computer.  The last tech tried to convince me to drop the issue and just "live with it".

Mrs. P, if you can post the support case number, I'd like to have this followed up on. That's an unfortunate response from support.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Sure.  It's Windows Live OneCare case 1061806358

I think the tech tried hard to find a solution.  He even called me back again today and said that there is no solution to this problem but that the problem does not have an impact of the security of my computer.  I don't have time to keep giving tech support remote access to my computer to try to solve the problem.  I asked the tech to make sure to include this issue on the "unresolved problems" list.  All I can do is hope that some future OneCare update will solve the problem.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for reporting the case. I've asked for it to be looked into and also asked for information from the OneCare team about the possible cause or causes for the problem.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:11 PM
  • There's no fix for this short of OneCare updating the method that they use to display the GTAgent page on Vista with UAC and IE Protected Mode enabled. But there's a fairly easy workaround to get your machine back to a "Good" OneCare status.

I've _confirmed_ that disabling User Account Control allows the blank screen to draw correctly. (Go to Control Panel and type UAC in the search box in the upper right corner.)

I have since turned UAC back on, and am waiting for the issue to occur again. When it does, I'm going to try disabling IE Protected Mode to see if that makes this work. I'm 99% sure that it would (and unlike disabling UAC, it wouldn't require a reboot of your machine).

Can one of you with the problem still around try disabling protected mode to see if that helps?

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:16 PM
  • I have been working with OneCare support for several weeks, passed back and forth between two techs and just recently been handed up to the phone support team who wants to remote for "up to 3 hours" which is not possible for me.

I had already tried the UAC off and IE protected mode off, but just for kicks, I turned them both off.  I still get a blank screen when I click the FIX button.  My thinking is that not all versions of Vista (Home Premium in my case) are created equal in this matter. 

When your blank screen draws correctly, what does it say??

As another post somewhere noted, it does not appear to be a real issue, but sense it involves security, it is a significant problem.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Me to, When I click "fix" the next window stays blank with,

Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\GTOneCare\HTML\GTAgent\html\index.htm

on the header.

Any help?

I don't think its a big deal, I tried for fun to seek the help support but everytime I try my password I get a "loop" typiny my password over and over.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Strange about the support process giving you a loop for login. Is that in IE or another browser? You might want to try deleting cookies and temporary Internet files and then opening IE back up to proceed through the support flow to sign in and open the email case.

I do hope that the cause of the problem can be identified and that a fix for the broken fix functionality can be deployed. I directed the OneCare team to this thread and others with the same problem and I know they are investigating it.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Thanks Scott

I just tried the 'disable protected mode' method and LiveCare is now showing green

Ps disabling protected mode is a good way of finding flash files in temporary internet files when using Vista..

it took me ages to relaise this subtle difference from XP

thanks again

Monday, March 31, 2008 6:22 PM
  • This one care is ***. I am using the free version and have not been satisfied with it at all . there are better programs that are free and it has so many problems in it I cannot imagine why they have it on the market.

I am using vista home premium and it states that my computer is running in fair mode and there is a button to fix it. When I select the button all that comes up is a blank screen . I have got to this point no answers why this is happening and would not go out and purchase this product
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:30 AM
  • I have merged your post into another thread where this is being discussed. I can't tell you the cause of the blank screen when you click Fix, but you can contact support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I have the same problem.  One Care tells me that my computer has problems, click to fix.  That gets me a blank screen.  However, I think it is a Vista problem.  I am running Vista Home Premium.  I get the blank screen problem on some websites, but not on most of them.  Also, on startup, my Dell wants to run a startup configuration that just gets a blank screen.  Thanks, Gerry
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:03 PM
  •  Gerry@imonmail.com wrote:
    I have the same problem.  One Care tells me that my computer has problems, click to fix.  That gets me a blank screen.  However, I think it is a Vista problem.  I am running Vista Home Premium.  I get the blank screen problem on some websites, but not on most of them.  Also, on startup, my Dell wants to run a startup configuration that just gets a blank screen.  Thanks, Gerry

Fix It doesn't work - try the database reset tool - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

If that doesn't solve it, please contact support.

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:15 PM
  • That didn't help.  I was unsuccessful.  I didn't expect it to help as I had this problem before installing One Care. It is not a One Care issue, but is a Vista/IE7 issue.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 11:18 PM
  •  Gerry@imonmail.com wrote:
    That didn't help.  I was unsuccessful.  I didn't expect it to help as I had this problem before installing One Care. It is not a One Care issue, but is a Vista/IE7 issue.

Try resetting IE7. Open IE, Tools/Internet Options/Advanced - restore advanced settings.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:30 PM