How to convert the negative number "Total LBAs Read" raw value in S.M.A.R.T.? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have got the ID 242 (Total LBAs Read) raw alue in S.M.A.R.T, but it is a negative number, how to convert to the right value, please view the Wikipedia page below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

About the ID 242(0xF2), it said "Some S.M.A.R.T. utilities will report a negative number for the raw value since in reality it has 48 bits rather than 32.", I got the value is "-2081282858", how to convert to the right number.

• Moved by Baron Bi Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:10 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

thanks for posting here.

>>About the ID 242(0xF2), it said "Some S.M.A.R.T. utilities will report a negative number for the raw value since in reality it has 48 bits rather than 32.", I got the value is "-2081282858", how to convert to the right number.

Please provide more detailed information about how do you get this value? Are you trying to get SMART status with hard disk? Which method do you use? 

Best Regards,

Baron Bi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 9, 2018 1:55 AM
    • Edited by gaxjyxq Friday, November 9, 2018 3:17 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 2:58 AM
  • Since you're using vb.net code, I suggest you post a new case on VB forum for better support.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Baron Bi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 12, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Yes, thank you.
    Monday, November 12, 2018 10:18 AM