Vista security cemter RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a reinstall of Vista x64 home premium. I also had to reinstall OneCare.
    Although the install appears to have been successful , I activated Onecare, Onecare reports all is good,
    But Vista's security center says no anti-virus is installed and there is no firewall.
    I've tried uninstall and reinstall...no change. I've also tried this http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2
    and it didn't help..
    The only way I can get security center to see Onecare is to turn off ---then on the firewall and anti-virus in Onecare. security center then sees Onecare... However when I reboot, security center does not see Onecare again.

I might add I did not have this problem before. I've reinstalled Vista a few times then OneCare and never had this problem before.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary. I suspect you're encountering what's described here:

Sticky: windows security center error - Vista / OneCare 2.5.2900.22

It's under investigation. OneCare *is* running, but there seems to be a disconnect between it and the Security Center on Vista 32 bit in some cases (if not all).

I've replicated it on another machine. So far it appears to be 32 bit Vista most of the time and I don't yet know the cause.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Hi again Steve,
    I wanted to report that I reinstalled OneCare ... This time I got version 2.5.2900.24 and it's working perfectly!

Thanks for all your help......good job as usual...

Gary
    • Marked as answer by mustang_gary Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:36 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• If rebuilding the WMI repository did not resolve the issue I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...
    This may sound harsh..its just my opinion..
    But one shouldn't have to fight with, or tinker, or whatever to make a program to work.
    I've always been a fan of Onecare because it simply worked. Having said that I uninstalled Onecare and installed McAfee that I get
    free from Comcast. It set up easily .... Security Center sees it... it just worked. So I guess I'll just use that now.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:42 PM
  • I undestand your aggravation, Gary. The issue may not be OneCare, though, but the Security Center and its interaction with OneCare. As Jim noted, rebuilding the WMI database that the Security Center uses to determine the status of protection on the PC usually resolves this issue.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Stephen,
     I understand that, I could even accept that the WMI data base could be corupted. But I tried the fix a few times, uninstalled OneCare reinstalled again a few times.
    Please note this was on a total fresh install of Vista from the disk, before any add-ons or updates.

So I figured I'd try a Dell image restore, the way I have usually done before. Onecare usually worked great
    after the image restore.  No go....tried the "fix" ...no go.
    So all I can think of is OneCare must have changed, maybe a new build or update?? I don't know.

But it seems to me if McAfee works after trying Onecare and uninstalling, OneCares setup must be changed or something.

This is a fairly new computer, only 3 months old, I've used OneCare since I got it. No problems with Security Center
    I tried the Windows 7 beta for a while, But reformated and  put Vista back on.
    I know you'll say contact support, but I really don't have time to hassle with this.

Thanks for your reply, I know you really do try and help, In fact you helped me a few years ago, and I'm sorry OneCare is going away soon.

Dell Studio XPS
    Intel core i7
    6 gigs tri-channel  ram
    Vista home premium x64
    ATI 4850 radeon

Gary
    Friday, March 20, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi Gary. I suspect you're encountering what's described here:

Sticky: windows security center error - Vista / OneCare 2.5.2900.22

It's under investigation. OneCare *is* running, but there seems to be a disconnect between it and the Security Center on Vista 32 bit in some cases (if not all).

I've replicated it on another machine. So far it appears to be 32 bit Vista most of the time and I don't yet know the cause.

-steve

Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Thanks again Stephen...

Ok maybe if they find out whats up I'll try Onecare again....
    I kind of thought it was something in a different build because OneCare has always worked before.

And yes that was the version I was trying to use.
    So I'll just check back here to see if they figure it out.
    I have about 6 months left on my subsciption, like I said earlier I like OneCare because it usually just works, without hogging the system.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Keep an eye on the forum as the issue has been confirmed, now we need to find out the cause and get it fixed!
    Hopefully, in 6 months time Morro will be out and ready. It will be Virus and Spyware protection only, same engine/signatures as OneCare/Defender, without the extras such as the firewall, backup, tune-up, etc. - and, it will be free. :-)
    -steve
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Hi again Steve,
    I wanted to report that I reinstalled OneCare ... This time I got version 2.5.2900.24 and it's working perfectly!

Thanks for all your help......good job as usual...

Gary
    • Marked as answer by mustang_gary Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:36 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Glad to read that all is well again. :-)
    I had a flurry of OneCare updates last night and confirmed that the Security Center issue was indeed resolved for all of them.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:58 PM