none
Sharing Folder Pairs between users/computers? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at using SyncToy for deployment of applications from our Dev to QA and QA to Prod servers. I've set up folder pairs for various web applications including exclusions (i.e. don't copy *.config). I'd like to be able to share the folder pair definitions with my team so anyone can use SyncToy and we're all using the same folder pair definitions. Is there any way to change where the definitions are stored so that we can all retrieve them from a common shared folder?
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• SyncToy does not support this. But you can have a try by copying "SyncToyDirPairs.bin" from [UsersAppData]\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 .

You must have the exactly same directory and folder structures. First sync use SyncToy UI.

I have not test this between different host machine. Welcome share your experience here later!

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:33 AM
  • SyncToy does not support this. But you can have a try by copying "SyncToyDirPairs.bin" from [UsersAppData]\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 .

You must have the exactly same directory and folder structures. First sync use SyncToy UI.

I have not test this between different host machine. Welcome share your experience here later!

Thanks,

Ping

Thanks for the suggestion but that won't really work for our group. Can I request a future enhancement that allows specification of the location of the SyncToyDirPairs.bin file as part of the Options for configurating the tool? This would allow sharing of the Folder Pair definitions. Even better would be an option to store the Folder Pair definitions in a SQL Server DB.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Could you explain your requirment more detail?

What is the benefit for such a feature? I am thinking the potential problem if we do so...

Thanks,

Ping

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:44 AM
  • The benefit is that where you have multiple administrators responsible for synchronizing the same sets of folders you can have standard, shared definitions for synchonization tasks (folder pairs). If you use your recommended approach of copying and distributing the bin file then updates made to a folder pair by one might not necessarily get propagated to the team, and changes made by one person could be lost by copying down the bin file over an updated file on their local computer.

If all members of the team can adjust their configuration for SyncToy to point to a shared location to get their folder pairs then everyone's synchronization task definitions are the same.

I understand the issues of locking the shared file for updates, etc which is why I suggested an alternative of using a database for folder pair definitions. This would allow locking at the row level or folder pair level when a definition is being updated, vs having to lock the entire file containing all the definitions.

Another approach might be replacing the bin file with a folder with a set of XML files, one per folder pair. Again this would mitigate the locking problem, but would eliminate the overhead of using a database.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:25 AM
  • We have the same feature request. 

We need application folders to remain up to date so that they always maintain the same plugins and settings. 

Ideally on startup all of the application folders would sync with a repository on the network and stay up to date.   This list of applications that needs to be synced changes though so we need a specified location from which all of the servers can check to see what needs updating. 

Even more so it would be best if SyncToy itself was sitting in a repository on a network share.  Then we can roll out a .bat file to all of the servers that need to be updated to simply execute the following on start up:

\\share\programs\synctoy\synctoycmd.exe -p "\\share\programs\synctoy\SyncToyParis.bin"

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:39 PM