none
Suddenly have problems opening .qfx downloaded file from American Express in MS Money RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly this month I am unable to open downloaded .qfx files from American Express in Money. I have as recently as November 2019, downloaded the file to my computer then imported the file into money. This month I get the error message: "file attempting to import appears to be invalid or contain corrupt data". The American Express site had a message stating that "because of a recent change you may have update your connection between Amex and Quicken." I don't have quicken so there's no one for me to contact. I contacted American Express and they were not of much help, and told me to contact Microsoft. I have a feeling they did something on their end that in someway altered something in the way file downloads. Does anyone else have this problem and know how to solve it? (I'm using MS MoneyPlus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.3817 on a Windows 10 computer.)

Thanks for your help.

Monday, December 30, 2019 7:14 AM

All replies

• You could try this Python script:

############begin AMEX_FX3.PY########
    #modifies AMEX OFX file with extra crud in the <OFX>
    #invoke with filename of the source as the parameter.

#Example: AMEX_FX3.PY ax_abc.qfx
    #2019-7-30 Cal Learner...
    #2019-12-8 modified to run on Python 2 or 3.

import sys, re

ofxfile1= open(sys.argv[1],'r') # open for read in current directory
        # Input file read in as parameter. Output file fixed in this case.
    ofxfile2= open("ModOut.ofx",'w') # open for write in current directory

#do stuff

ofx=ofxfile1.read()

ofx_parts=re.split(r"\s*<OFX[^>]*>",ofx) #splits the file into 2 pieces in list
    ofx_body= re.sub(r"(?<!\s)<", r"\n<",ofx_parts[1]) #add the newlines to body

ofx_mod=ofx_parts[0]+"\n<OFX>" + ofx_body #assembling the new header and the body

ofxfile2.write(ofx_mod)

ofxfile1.close()
    ofxfile2.close()
    print("Modified version of ", sys.argv[1],' written to "ModOut.ofx" file.')

############end AMEX_FX3.PY########

I forget the flaw this fixes, but it might be that instead of <ofx>, the file contains <ofx somethingOrAnother>.  So if that is the case, you could just modify the QFX file with a text editor, such as Notepad.

Monday, December 30, 2019 6:50 PM
  • This issue with Amex qif files was reported back on December 11th.  Here is a link:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d978e734-bfaa-4b93-9abd-7122b593c901/unable-to-import-qfx-files-from-amex?forum=money

However, for some reason, copied links from this forum aren't working for me right now, soif you have the same problem with links, here is my response from that thread:

I had this issue with AMEX downloads for several months and Cal's Python program fixed those files.  Since November 20th, the downloads have imported correctly for me, but, from your experience, there are still issues.  If you are willing to manually edit the downloaded file using Notepad, I found that this single replacement worked:

Find <OFX xmlns:ns2="http://ofx.net/types/2003/04"> and replace it with <OFX>

Cal's responses in that thread have more detail if you want to automate the fix using the above Python script.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Tuesday, December 31, 2019 4:36 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Just downloaded transactions for my Amex Blue Cash Preferred credit card and I find that Amex is once again downloading activity.qfx files that won't import into Money.  The fix that still works is:

- open the activity.qfx file with Notepad

- search for <OFX xmlns:ns2="http://ofx.net/types/2003/04"> It's pretty early in the file.

- replace it with <OFX>, i.e. delete  xmlns:ns2="http://ofx.net/types/2003/04"

Save the file and then double-click it to open it in Money.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 3:28 AM
  • I don't know how you do it, but I use the manual download of the .qfx file and change the extension to .ofx.

American Express changed the URL for the download, and along with that a file format that doesn't work (I see that others have found the line to edit).  I have the old one that still sends a .qfx that requires no editing.

Instructions:

1. Paste this into the address field https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/ofxdl/us/domesticOptions.do?request_type=authreg_ofxdownload&Face=en_US&intlink=des_downloadcardact

2.  Login.

3.  It takes you right there to the old download screen.

4.  Make it a favorite for easier access.

If you're someone that logins and checks for new activity before initiating the download, you can do this (after making the above URL a favorite):

1.  Login to americanexpress.com

2.  See that you have new activity.

3.  Go to favorites, and launch the URL

4.  It keeps you logged in, and takes you to the old familiar download screen that gives a .qfx file that doesn't require editing.

Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:55 PM
  • Wow, Thanks!  I just tried this and it works.  Money reads the download with no problems. 

Let's hope that Amex doesn't find out and mess it up!

Bill Becker

Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:53 PM