none
Windows Home Server won't Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I was having a problem with my internet router.  After spending several frustrating hours working on the problem I decided to shut down all the computers connected to the network, then shut down the switches, router and modem.

After waiting several minutes (5 or more) for the WHS to shut down I got impatient and powered it off.  And before say anything, I KNOW I shouldn't have done that, but it didn't appear it was going to shut down on its own.

Since then it will not boot.  It gets to the first black screen with Windows Home Server in the middle and the three white balls moving in a long text box below that.  It never gets further than that before it re-boots.  It sits there in an endless loop; boot, fail, re-boot.

I tried safe-mode, in fact I tried every mode shown for F8 except Directory Services Restore, which I don't have.  All three versions of safe made ended in the same place before re-booting.

Debugging Mode produced the only pertinent information.  It gave the problem as:

UNBOOTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE
    *** STOP: 0x8A56A628, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue hopefully without losing the data on the rest of the drives.

QUESTION: Is there any way of getting the data off the 'Data Drives'?  Can I hook them up to another computer and copy the data off?

QUESTION: Will doing a re-install destroy the information on the Data Drives?

QUESTION: Is there a better place to be asking these questions?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:15 PM

Answers

• Possibly you have a failing disk drive (your system drive). It's hard to say for sure, as there are other reasons you could experience that error as well.

To answer your questions: Server reinstallation is the supported way to recover from just about any issue with Windows Home Server. Assuming no disk problems, and also assuming you've got your ducks in a row as far as drivers go, it's non-destructive of data in your shares, backups, etc. You'll find a sketchy description of the process over here, along with some caveats and warnings. 

If reinstallation isn't given as an option, see this FAQ, which will help you recover data directly off the server drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by TaubertRC Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:00 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 1:04 AM

All replies

• Possibly you have a failing disk drive (your system drive). It's hard to say for sure, as there are other reasons you could experience that error as well.

To answer your questions: Server reinstallation is the supported way to recover from just about any issue with Windows Home Server. Assuming no disk problems, and also assuming you've got your ducks in a row as far as drivers go, it's non-destructive of data in your shares, backups, etc. You'll find a sketchy description of the process over here, along with some caveats and warnings. 

If reinstallation isn't given as an option, see this FAQ, which will help you recover data directly off the server drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by TaubertRC Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:00 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 1:04 AM
  • I apologize for taking so long to reply.

First of all, I ordered a 1TB drive to put in my desktop computer to copy the server Shared Folders to.  I followed the instructions in 'this FAQ' and removed each drive, one at a time, and copied the data to the new drive.  There are four (4) 1TB drives in the Server.  That took a while and as it turned out, well worth the effort.

Next I tried doing a re-installation.  The first attempt didn't go well because of a problem with drivers.  I got that sorted out and retried the re-installation.  It went without a hitch or so it seemed.  After the re-installation was complete the system reported several errors with each reboot.  The errors involved whsarch.exe and demigrator.exe.

I tried doing the re-installation again and still had the same problem.  I could not find a solution to this so finally did a NEW install.  That solved all problems.

I am back in business.  I have also set up a backup procedure that duplicates the Shared Folders on the Server with the extra drive I installed in my Desktop.

Thank you again.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:00 PM