One output for Deepzoom and HDV RRS feed

• Question

• Will you allow the PS plugin to generate both HDview and DeepZoom file sets and also a web page template that:checks for HDView presence and uses it if found, and otherwise defaults to silverlight deepzoom?  This assumes that I could use a 16 or 32 bit image and the plugin would convert it to 8 bits for Silverlight only. 

And also add a button to install HDView if its not found but Silverlight is?.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:15 PM

Answers

• The next release of HDView will be able to read the Silverlight image format, so the photoshop plugin will be able to output a single html page that can easily switch between hdview and silverlight.  This is true at least for 8bit.  For 16bit and 32bit images we may stick to just hdview.  The reason is that we don't want to do any tone adjustment in the plugin.  Typically when going from 16/32bit to a lower bitdepth in Photoshop, the user does some tone mapping.  If we were given a 32bit image in the plugin, this would require us to generate 8bit Silverlight compatible images from the 32bit source.  I think that we would rather have users explicitly switch to 8bit in Photoshop and select an appropriate tone mapping there.  What do you think?   

Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:34 AM

All replies

• The next release of HDView will be able to read the Silverlight image format, so the photoshop plugin will be able to output a single html page that can easily switch between hdview and silverlight.  This is true at least for 8bit.  For 16bit and 32bit images we may stick to just hdview.  The reason is that we don't want to do any tone adjustment in the plugin.  Typically when going from 16/32bit to a lower bitdepth in Photoshop, the user does some tone mapping.  If we were given a 32bit image in the plugin, this would require us to generate 8bit Silverlight compatible images from the 32bit source.  I think that we would rather have users explicitly switch to 8bit in Photoshop and select an appropriate tone mapping there.  What do you think?   

Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Thanks Matt,

360x180, or even just many 360 degree panos need some sort of tone mapping.  (especially interior panos where you can see though windows and doors.)

Currently  I use Photomatix and other HDR programs, but having the tone adjustment done in the browser is interesting becasue it adjusts based on what the user is looking at.  For example, on an interior pano, if the user zooms in on a dark corner, it becomes brighter and if he zooms in on a window, the shadows in the outside scene may become darker.

So in other words, HDView gives you a local contrast adjustment based on exactly what the user is looking at (just as your eyes give you that "local contrast adjustment").  Any post-processing on the image in PS, PM, or other program is done on the image as a whole and is optimized for the entire image, not just one small rectangle.

Currently, space on the web is cheap. I don't mind having two sets of image files on the web. 

So I think your plan is good (a single HTML page that can be switched by the user from HDView to Silverlight and back).
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 1:52 PM