running the product key update tool twice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I needed to reinstall my system (Windows XP Pro) some time ago  and I did it using a volume licence kit and volume license key which is blocked. So I tried to change the product key to the one I have (OEM). The problem is, that I have already done this once (using the same kit and the same licenses, and it worked at that time) and now I get a "product key has already been used or is in use" error message.  Since then I searched the net for possible solutions and found none. I am looking for a way to update my product key WITHOUT reinstalling my system. Some solutions I have found, were to re-active my windows with the new product key. I used a WMI script to do this (found on the microsoft knowledgebase) but it did not work - an generic error message with an error code was thrown. (It is unclear to me, even after so much forum surfing, whether a product key change from VLK to OEM is possible, so it is very likely that this is what the error was all about).

I there anyting I can do to make my windows genuine?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:42 PM

Answers

• Recently I have seen several posts from people who have become victims. First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help and protect YOU our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en
    Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Roti,

Please contact the manufactuer of your computer and see if Recovery or Reinstallation CDs are available for the model that you have.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Roti,

I agree with Dan. This will alleviate many issues. The information I posted earlier has information for you to file a piracy report. This will help not only yourself but everyone. Have a wonderful week.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• Recently I have seen several posts from people who have become victims. First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help and protect YOU our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en
    Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Roti,

Please contact the manufactuer of your computer and see if Recovery or Reinstallation CDs are available for the model that you have.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Roti,

I agree with Dan. This will alleviate many issues. The information I posted earlier has information for you to file a piracy report. This will help not only yourself but everyone. Have a wonderful week.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Hello

I bought a Windows Xp Home a couple of years back and installed it fine but after 1 year it was running slow and programs weren't funning smoothly. So i decided to format it , can i use the CD and CD key that i used before again on the same computer ?

thanks alot

John

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:03 AM
  •  

John,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:29 PM