I get this backup error every time: The backup failed because of a problem accessing a file on Windows Home Server. RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody tell me what might get me past the following error?

The backup failed because of a problem accessing a file on Windows Home Server.

This started when I installed PP3 Beta.  I've since uninstalled that and installed PP3, but I still get the error.  I've done searches galore and am not finding any help.  I have run chkdsk /f /r on the C and D drives, but that didn't help.  I tried a re-install of WHS, but it will only let me to a Clean Install or New Installation, not a re-install.  I'm stumped.  I haven't run a backup in weeks and am getting nervous.  I have many TB of data and don't want to lose any.

Sunday, December 6, 2009 1:59 PM

All replies

• Please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server , not just C: and D:.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Wow, quick!  How do I do that?  When I bring up a command prompt I only see the C & D drive.  Thanks again!

Also, here are the Event Log entries:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  12/6/2009
    Time:  8:44:34 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(449)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  12/6/2009
    Time:  8:44:34 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x17 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:18 PM
  • OK, I clicked the link and will try that.  Thanks!
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:22 PM
  • The second event you pasted indicates a CRC error. Please also see this FAQ for more details about what this type of error means.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Gee thanks!  I'll look into this once my checks finish.  They have been running al day.  I have about 10TB of data, so I expected to to take long.  Thanks again.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:46 AM
  • I'm seeing this same thing after installing PP3.  When I ran a chkdsk my computer restarted during the last step with the same error.
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

Any ideas?
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:04 PM