none
Help with my certification path RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so I love Windows and I love Linux, I want to do system administration and I am at the very start of my career.

So I am looking at a path for certification, I would like to more towards the security side of administration on both Windows and Linux.

So my path I have thought of is this.

MTA - Server, MTA Security - A+ - N+ - LPIC1 and then any certification that I feel maybe best.

Is this path any good or a stupid setup?

Thoughts?

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:39 PM

Answers

• If you are planning a career on system administration, then you are setting your goals too low, at least on the Windows side. The MTA - Server and MTA Security exams are too basic to be of much help from the point of view of gaining employment as a systems administrator. You should plan on getting at least a MCSA or preferrably a MCSE certification. Taking a MTA exam may be good for getting used to what it feels taking an exam, but it is not really required. You can start directly on the MCP exams that count as credit for the MCSE, and skip the MTA altogether.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 9:28 AM
  • You would get the MCSA on your way to MCSE. For example, if you pass exams 410, 411 and 412 you get the MCSA on Windows Server 2012, and then you add exams 413 and 414 to achieve MCSE:Server Infrastructure. Of course there are other options, I suggest that you peruse https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx to see the various alternatives. And yes, networking is important for a systems administrator. Some of the previous exams do include networking, for instance, exam 410 has a section labelled "Deploy and configure core networrk services" that covers IP v4 and v6, DHCP and DNS, and similarly other exams cover different network-related topics.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:50 PM

All replies

• If you are planning a career on system administration, then you are setting your goals too low, at least on the Windows side. The MTA - Server and MTA Security exams are too basic to be of much help from the point of view of gaining employment as a systems administrator. You should plan on getting at least a MCSA or preferrably a MCSE certification. Taking a MTA exam may be good for getting used to what it feels taking an exam, but it is not really required. You can start directly on the MCP exams that count as credit for the MCSE, and skip the MTA altogether.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 9:28 AM
  • I take it I should go for the MCSA Server first? 

Would I need any networking qualification also to land say a junior job?

Thanks

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:23 PM
  • You would get the MCSA on your way to MCSE. For example, if you pass exams 410, 411 and 412 you get the MCSA on Windows Server 2012, and then you add exams 413 and 414 to achieve MCSE:Server Infrastructure. Of course there are other options, I suggest that you peruse https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx to see the various alternatives. And yes, networking is important for a systems administrator. Some of the previous exams do include networking, for instance, exam 410 has a section labelled "Deploy and configure core networrk services" that covers IP v4 and v6, DHCP and DNS, and similarly other exams cover different network-related topics.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:50 PM