using dynamic url RRS feed

• Question

•  

www.mysite.com/send.php?cat=test&engine=msn&term=testterm&keyword={keyword:}
    I am using this destination URL in Google. I send all the adds to one page, send.php, then re-direct the add to the page that fits the category(cat)

I can insert the category, engine, term and keyword into a SQL table using Google but not MSN.

When I cut and paste the URL above into a web browser I can insert the variables into the SQL table, but when I actually click on my live add, then the insert does not work.

When I am in my MSN advertising account, and I click on the add in the account, I get an error message "the exact url for this add will be determined when the add is served"

MSN is altering the url and sending the user to a page that is not send.php.

Can anyone help me out with this?

thanks,

-D

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:14 AM

All replies

• The error you're receiving is usually the result of a dynamically generated destination URL. Most likely you're building your URL as a keyword parameter. Remember, however, that you can't nest variables. So you can't create a value for param1 that looks like www.mysite.com/send.php?cat=test&engine=msn&term=testterm&keyword={keyword}. That would nest one variable (keyword) inside another (param1).

The solution is to build the first part of the URL as param1 at the keyword level but then assemble the pieces at the ad level. For example, the  value of param1 might look like www.mysite.com/send.php?cat=test&engine=msn&term=testterm&keyword= but the destination URL in the ad would look like http://{param1}{keyword}. That avoids nesting variables. That would include all the infomation you need but not violate adCenter's rules.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Cheers,

Charles

Micro Marketing

Friday, November 9, 2007 5:23 AM