exception while loading outlook express RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ever since installing the recent update to Windows Live Onecare, whenever I open Outlook Express,
    I get an exception error. I always click on the 'send report' box, but have not received an answer. It
    is getting very irritating.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:39 PM

All replies

• I have never heard of OneCare causing a problem with Outlook Express. What exactly is the exception error you are receiving?

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:29 AM
  • I get the same error on my daughter's account.  The message is "Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server.  Account: 'Anastasias Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'This operation is not permitted for this type of client.', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 1203, Error Number: 0x800CCCF7"

This first occured after I installed Live Mail and tried one care family control. I then followed the instructions to remove family care (unlinking on line first then deleting the software).  Even messenger is unable to open up e-mails.  Now the only way to get to e-mail is via the hotmail URL direct in the browser

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:39 PM
  • If you are trying to access a free Hotmail account in Outlook Express, it is no longer permitted. Use Windows Live Mail - http://get.live.com

If you are using Windows Live Mail and are seeing this error consistently, remove the account and add it back.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Wow, very poor.  I did not see any warnings about this before installing :-(

FYI, the reasons I want to return to outlook express are

1)With more than one account all the e-mails from account 1 are copied to account 2

2)Most my daughter's contacts have multiple e-mails, these are managed correctly in outlook express but show as seperate contacts in live mail (so one person shows 4-6 times)

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:29 PM
  •  Adam online wrote:

Wow, very poor.  I did not see any warnings about this before installing :-(

FYI, the reasons I want to return to outlook express are

1)With more than one account all the e-mails from account 1 are copied to account 2

2)Most my daughter's contacts have multiple e-mails, these are managed correctly in outlook express but show as seperate contacts in live mail (so one person shows 4-6 times)

It isn't an issue with OneCare, it is a change in Hotmail. Free Hotmail accounts are no longer permitted to be accessed via OE due to security concerns with the protocol. Windows Live Mail uses a different protocol. Your alternative is to upgrade the free Hotmail account to a paid account or use Outlook instead of Outlook Express. With Outlook, you can download and use the free Outlook Connector to access the mail. The Contact issue is because Windows Live Mail uses Windows Live Contacts, while OE uses a local contact/address book.

Once again, this has *nothing* to do with OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:24 PM
  • That's not so good for me - I can't use Windows Live mail because every time it does a send\receive, I get booted off my VPN. OE doesn't do this, but now I can't access my hotmail in OE.

Darryl Gittins
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:24 PM
  • That's not so good for me - I can't use Windows Live mail because every time it does a send\receive, I get booted off my VPN. OE doesn't do this, but now I can't access my hotmail in OE.

Darryl Gittins

You can use OE to access your Hotmail account via POP/SMTP, if desired.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:50 PM