A few Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I'm happy with WHS but I have a couple if questions/issues.

1. A midninght every night the server runs a check of the hard drives, this is an incovinence for me. Is there any way to change the time of day this occurs? (Without having to change the Time on the server)

2. Since the update this week my server is in an almost constant state of balancing. I say almost as it appears to complete and the console will display the balancing completed at such and such a time, but an hour or so later it will begin balancing again. Looking at the D: drive available space it look like it has moved most of the data. there is 126GB available of 129GB.

So I see a few possibillities, but I think I can rule most of them out:

1. It is normal for there to be a few GB living on the D: Drive (I would assume so as there are backup files on the drive. The Data is in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} ) which bring me to:
    2.  I currently have the Database error that is covered here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1744726&SiteID=50 but I will not have an opportunity to try the fix until this weekend. Could this be cause? I think it might not be as i have had this error for a couple of weeks and this issue is new.
    3. There is some data that is "stuck" and the balancing keeps trying to move it. (The size eof the files mentioned above accounts for the space use in D: so I don't think this is the cause
    4. Something I have not considered.

I have 44% of my storage left which equates to 681.2Gb of 1.51TB and I have not added any data since Monday which was about 15GB

If any more info is needed please let me know.

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:08 AM

Answers

1. Windows Home Server runs chkdisk twice a day; there's really no way to change when that happens.
    2. Since your server is probably fairly new, it's more or less normal for it to be "balancing" for quite a while. Once it's finished, it will go back and make another pass occasionally, to make sure that all files are duplicated as appropriate, and that all tombstones are truncated. So it's very possible to see it finish balancing, then start back up an hour later. The space used on your D: partition is normal. Windows Home Server tries to keep the D: partition completely empty for files, but doesn't always succeed.
    Friday, November 30, 2007 2:43 AM
  • WHS runs CHKDSK every 12 hours (as Ken notes above) on all drives, so presumably your system has 4 HDDs?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:08 PM
  •  Elektricity wrote:
    Thought I would post a further update.

Following a thread that has been spending a lot of time on the first page regarding a similar issue I checked through the data in my shares and found there was some data that was not being moved correctly.
    This was found by thating the size of a tombstone (4096) and multiplying that by the number of files.
    the offending folder was removed and the balancing stopped. I thought the issue has gone and posted that all was well.

However overnight it has started again and all of the data appears to have been migrated correctly, so what is demigrator.exe doing with the data? CPU usage goes up to about 50% and I can see and hear activity on the drives but the activity is sporadic and not like the constant data access you normally get when the server is balancing.

It will check periodically even if there has been no activity since its last check.  The post you are referring to about the tombstones (which was mine) was only if it always says balancing storage...

Elektricity wrote:
    I use WHS to store my DVD's and whilst the balancing is happening streaming of video, especially Hi Def content is very jumpy.

That shouldn't happen.  Once you are actively using a file on the server, Migrator should stop running.  I am able to stream ISOs and HD WMVs to an XBox 360 with no stuttering at all (and my XBox 360 is wireless)....

Elektricity wrote:
    EDIT:

Reading another post mentioned the balancing storage notification on the console actually means the deMigrator.exe is doing something so i have taken a look at the Event logs. It appears that what I thought was balancing is actually chkdsk running.
    It ran four times between midnight and 1am saturday and then another four times between 6 and 7 in the evening. Is this normal?

The Logs for the deMigrator it has reported issues with one folder for the last two days i have removed these files and will report back on if this makes any difference.

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:18 PM

All replies

1. Windows Home Server runs chkdisk twice a day; there's really no way to change when that happens.
    2. Since your server is probably fairly new, it's more or less normal for it to be "balancing" for quite a while. Once it's finished, it will go back and make another pass occasionally, to make sure that all files are duplicated as appropriate, and that all tombstones are truncated. So it's very possible to see it finish balancing, then start back up an hour later. The space used on your D: partition is normal. Windows Home Server tries to keep the D: partition completely empty for files, but doesn't always succeed.
    Friday, November 30, 2007 2:43 AM
  • Thanks Ken you are always so helpful.

Fair enough on the chkdisk running, I assumed this would be the case.

This constant start and stop of balancing has been going for about three days now, is this still considered normal?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 12:38 PM
  • Thought I would post a further update.

Following a thread that has been spending a lot of time on the first page regarding a similar issue I checked through the data in my shares and found there was some data that was not being moved correctly.
    This was found by thating the size of a tombstone (4096) and multiplying that by the number of files.
    the offending folder was removed and the balancing stopped. I thought the issue has gone and posted that all was well.

However overnight it has started again and all of the data appears to have been migrated correctly, so what is demigrator.exe doing with the data? CPU usage goes up to about 50% and I can see and hear activity on the drives but the activity is sporadic and not like the constant data access you normally get when the server is balancing.

I use WHS to store my DVD's and whilst the balancing is happening streaming of video, especially Hi Def content is very jumpy.

EDIT:

Reading another post mentioned the balancing storage notification on the console actually means the deMigrator.exe is doing something so i have taken a look at the Event logs. It appears that what I thought was balancing is actually chkdsk running.
    It ran four times between midnight and 1am saturday and then another four times between 6 and 7 in the evening. Is this normal?

The Logs for the deMigrator it has reported issues with one folder for the last two days i have removed these files and will report back on if this makes any difference.

Thanks
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:17 AM
  • WHS runs CHKDSK every 12 hours (as Ken notes above) on all drives, so presumably your system has 4 HDDs?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:08 PM
  •  Elektricity wrote:
    Thought I would post a further update.

It will check periodically even if there has been no activity since its last check.  The post you are referring to about the tombstones (which was mine) was only if it always says balancing storage...

Elektricity wrote:

That shouldn't happen.  Once you are actively using a file on the server, Migrator should stop running.  I am able to stream ISOs and HD WMVs to an XBox 360 with no stuttering at all (and my XBox 360 is wireless)....

Elektricity wrote:
    EDIT:

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Which log should I be checking for balancing activity? q_de.log looks like the right one. This is a snapshot of the last hour or so activity:

REBL:  12/02/2007 21:07:09:125: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:08:12:546: Ended full migration pass.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:08:14:812: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is False.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:08:17:390: Ended full migration pass.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:08:27:937: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is False.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:08:44:000: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:14:55:812: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:19:34:296: Ended full migration pass.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:20:55:984: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:26:56:125: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:29:34:406: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is False.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:32:56:437: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 21:35:40:906: Ended full migration pass.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:38:56:593: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:44:56:750: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:50:56:906: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 21:56:57:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:02:59:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 22:05:43:171: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is True.
    CORE:  12/02/2007 22:06:38:500: Entering auto-throttle mode. Queue = 3. Sleep time (file) = 5000. Sleep time (directory) = 10000.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 22:06:40:015: Ended full migration pass.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:08:59:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:14:59:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:20:59:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:26:59:062: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:32:59:312: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 22:36:40:421: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is True.
    CORE:  12/02/2007 22:36:40:421: Leaving auto-throttle mode
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 22:38:20:234: Ended full migration pass.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:38:59:468: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    REBL:  12/02/2007 22:44:59:625: Starting rebalance pass for primary volume.
    MIGR:  12/02/2007 22:49:28:640: Beginning full migration pass. LazyPass is False.

Is this normal?

The Main reason I am perceiving this as an issue is: One of my drives is an external drive connected via FW. When the drive warms up it's fan will kick in creating a bit of noise. However the drive has it's own power management and will spin the drive down when it is not accessed for a while and the fan turns off.
    A week ago the  fan would only run when I am accessing data for an extended period (Watching a movie), adding data or the server is balancing or checking the disk, now it seems to be accessing the drive a lot more and the fan is on almost constantly. I have removed the drive from the pool and tested it on another machine and confirmed it is not something quirky happening with the drive.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 11:06 PM