HP MediaSmart Server Heat Issues / Problems RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since I installed the 4th drive in the MediaSmart Server I have had heat issues.  Here is where it is measuring now.

Upper Fan - 1480 rpm  System - 68 C

Lower Fan - 1430 rpm  CPU - 30 C

Before adding the 4th drive it wasn't an issue.  If I turn the system off and leave it for a day and then turn it back on it immediately goes to over 60 C.  At first I thought maybe the room was too warm, but that isn't the case today (it is around 69 F in the room at the moment) and HP's site say the following:

This document applies to HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475.
    Find a suitable place to locate your HP MediaSmart Server before you install the software on your computers. The location you choose must have either an available wired network connection to your broadband router or a switch connected to your broadband router.
    The server also requires adequate ventilation to ensure it does not get too hot:
    • Do not locate the server in an unventilated space.
    • Make sure that the server’s front and back panels are not blocked.
    • Check that the location of the server is not too hot. Maximum environmental temperature for operating the server is 35° C (95° F).

Obviously it isn't 95 F in the room so that should be an issue.

Any ideas?  I have heard of people having issues with heat and HP saying that the problem will be addressed in a future patch, but I can't find anything from HP to address it.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 5:19 PM

All replies

•  Jeff Berger wrote:

Since I installed the 4th drive in the MediaSmart Server I have had heat issues.  Here is where it is measuring now.

Upper Fan - 1480 rpm  System - 68 C

Lower Fan - 1430 rpm  CPU - 30 C

Before adding the 4th drive it wasn't an issue.  If I turn the system off and leave it for a day and then turn it back on it immediately goes to over 60 C.  At first I thought maybe the room was too warm, but that isn't the case today (it is around 69 F in the room at the moment) and HP's site say the following:

FWIW my EX475 with four drives (two stock 500Gb plus two Seagate 320Gbs I added in sleds 3 and 4) is running in a barely ventilated closet (literally a closet) with a lot of other heat producing equipment (a large format printer, several routers and switches and two UPS units, ambient temp in the room outside the closet is always 70F and I've never had a heat problem.

Upper Fan - 1418 rpm - 37 C
    Lower Fan - 1430 rpm - 36 C

Have you verified that your upper fan hasn't failed? It's possible that you have a fan failure and you're getting bad data back through the monitoring probe.

Here are my voltages (from the Hardware Status) in case you want to compare/look for any likely culprits:
    VCCP fluctuates between 0.970 and 1.232
    5V -- 4.919
    12V -- fluctuates 11.84 to 11.904
    1.8V --  fluctuates 1.808 to 1.824
    AUX -- 5.026 to 5.053
    3.3V -- 3.312

Cheers!
    Aaron
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Aaron,

I think I agree there is something wrong and I appreciate you letting me know that you have your's in a closet with a bunch of other stuff that is more than likely warmer than where I have mine.  I need to contact HP to find out what is going on.  I would guess I have a bad sensor or something....the fans both seem to be working and my voltages are right in line with yours.

Thanks again for the response.

Jeff

Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:15 AM
  • I think you have a failed/failing temperature sensor; 68° C is nearly 160° F. If you were to hold your hand in the stream of air from a fan blowing 160° F air, you'd pull it away pretty fast, as that's getting close to the point where it could burn your skin.
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:50 AM
  • I think you are right.  The heat coming out doesn't seem excessive....no more than out of our PowerEdge servers at the office which makes me think that there is a sensor issue.  Hopefully I will get some time to call HP this week.  Thank you for your comments Ken and I will post what HP tells me when I find something out.

Monday, May 5, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Jeff,

Did you find the cause of your heat problem?  Was it a faulty sensor?

I have the same problem on the same HP hardware, currently the system is at 61c and the CPU at 43c

Regards

Dave

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Dave,

It was not a faulty sensor according to HP in my case.  The heat coming out the back was not excessive so it really wasn't the temperature it read and they said there was a batch of home servers that had this problem and it will be fixed in an HP software update in June some time.  I haven't seen it yet so I am still having the issue and I just let it run and ignore the error.....so far no problems.

If the air coming out of the server isn't too hot I would wait and see if the update fixes it.  If it is excessive then I would contact HP, but it sounds like it is common and the software update is supposed to fix it.

Jeff

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  

I have had the samething. I keep getting the error even right after restart. However, there is no hot air coming out of it and HP says it will be fixed in an update.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Also started having the same thing and my system temperature is above 61C... Looks like after every restart of the server it gets stuck at the temperature it previously displayed.

Any additional News when HP will release an update? And was it telephone or email you contacted HP by?

Currently I am using the software version 1.1.3.19049

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:55 AM
  • It was telephone support and to my surprise the rep was very good.  All I know is that they said the update should be coming in June.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:37 PM
  • My HP home server has the same problem.  For the last couple of weeks, the temperature keeps going up.  It reached 73 deg C so I called HP.  They are sending me a new server.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Got my replacement home server from HP today, swapped the drives and that was all I had to do.  Replacement unit is reporting the proper temperatures.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:27 AM
  • It is interesting that they sent you a new server.  Was the heat coming out of the back actually hot or was it the same situation I am having where the sensor reads hot, but it really isn't hot?

From what I understand HP is waiting to release the fix to the issue until Microsoft releases Power Pack 1 which is still at the release candidate level.  Hopefully it will be soon!

Monday, July 7, 2008 12:51 PM
  • I installed the new update that HP put out with McAfee and PVConnect and still no help still getting heat issues. So no fix for heat issues in that update.

Monday, July 7, 2008 3:08 PM
  •  

I think it's more Bios related since if you use Speedfan to read teh temperature it reads the same...

Since the weather has gone a lot cooler over past few days the temperature now reads 54C. So the temperature sensor does seem to work.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:41 PM
  • The heat issue I was having seemed to be the same as what you're reporting.  Cool air coming out the back but the sensor reporting very high temps.

Since the replacement server, the temp sensors are both reporting the same temperature, as they should.

Good luck,

Kirk

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:49 AM
  • During the time that you are reading the high temps, what is the CPU utilization.  Had the same issue after installing PP1 Beta and it was due to a couple of processes spiking utilization at 100%.

Toby

Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Here is the end of the story near as I can tell:

I waited for PP1 and did that and shortly after I did the update from HP.  That didn't fix the problem, so when I finally got some time today I called HP support again and as soon as I explained the situation he said he would send me a file that would fix the problem.  About a half an hour later I has a file called SystemTempHotfix.msi.  Basically what the file does is tell the software to ignore the System temperature sensor.

This is our email exchange when he sent the file and after I discovered what it actually did.

Email from HP:

Hello Jeff,

The HP MediaSmart Server is designed with multiple hardware probes and sensors. One of the sensors is redundant and we have learned that this sensor is showing false temperature readings.

As a result, the Server notified you of false hardware alerts. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The attached software patch disables the notification of the redundant sensor and ensures that you will not receive false hardware alerts in the future. The key temperature reading for your Mediasmart Server is the CPU reading. This sensor is the focus of the temperature control design and is functioning properly, so you can be assured that your HP MediaSmart Server is operating as designed.

Please accept our apologies.

My response to the fix:

So basically that fix just disables the alert?  The temperature sensor still reads 86 as you can tell from the screenshot below, so it is still a faulty sensor.  What if I would like it replaced so it functions properly?

The screenshot obviously showed the system temp was still 86, but it was now green instead of red.

HPs response:

Thanks for replying back and for the screenshot.

Yes, it will disable the sensor because it’s throwing false reading.   What you need to watch out is the CPU temperature.

And just in case the box overheats it will automatically shuts it self down.

There’s nothing to worry about on the system temp.

It seems some people were fortunate enough to receive a new server to replace the faulty temperature sensor and now that the fix that was supposed to have solved the issue hasn't they are just telling the server to disregard the alert and show the temperature as acceptable regardless of what it reads.  I would prefer to actually have one that works correctly, but it doesn't seem that is going to happen.  Hopefully some of you will actually get your servers replaced.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Just to give an update on my situation... Been monitoring my system temperature and has dropped to 52C today but on average over the hot weather the system temperature was on average 55C. A comparison with my CPU temperature that is currently at 32C.

I do wonder if this increase in temperature is due to a software update from HP...

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/10512/Temperature-problem-Server-is-running-warm/?highlight=temperature

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Shouldn't the SERVER temp be well below the CPU Temp?   It is my understanding that the CPU should be hotter then the mother board?

I am getting the same issue... Bouncing between "Server running warm" to Server running HOT"  My server is located in a room that is kept at a constant 70deg F. 

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Looks like the Mediasmart server has an updated Bios...

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1976&highlight=bios

I wonder if the Bios update fixes the system temperature issue.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 12:54 PM
  • I recently installed the HP patch (including BIOS update) and I still have the same problem (System=62C; CPU=32C) in a cool area.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  

Where did you obtain the Bios update? The HP patch should only have updated the HP mediasmart software.

Friday, August 8, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I am having the same issues with the temperature sensors, system currently reads 90oC.

Is there any chance that you can share or mail the hotfix as HP support in the UK is lacking at most.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:08 PM
  • I posted the fix I received from HP at http://drop.io/hptempfix.  The password is temperature.

Keep in mind that it does not fix the sensor, it just tells the system to ignore it.  Put the file on your MediaSmart Server and remote desktop to the server it to run it.

This is a kind of use at your own risk situation.  I don't know if works on every model, although I assume it would.

Good luck!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Hey Jeff,

I am seeing the similar issue with my EX470. Although the HP support was really friendly, but he just kept saying it was not "really" hardware issue. I believe the software patch is simply used to mask the hardware problem, and HP is trying to not honor the 1 year limited warranty for the hardware. Actually, I like the design of MediaSmart server. However, they were cutting cost by using some low-end components (slow CPU, 512M memory etc), and keep saying they are sufficient. I am quite disappointed with all these false information.

/kc

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Jeff:

I keep a HP MediaSmart server, with four drives, two of which are TB drives, and a fifth external USB TB drive, in an interior closet along with powered switches, and several modems, all of which produce heat.  However, I installed a small tower fan (15" H x 4" W x 6" deep), and that seems to keep the temperature in the closet and with the Server at acceptable levels.  A temperture probe fixed to the wall within two inches of the server never shows a temperture abot 80 degrees F.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:00 PM