computer window (folder???) Pop up in User Account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I curent using Window Steady State 2.5 on Window Vista Ultimate. there is Compute window (or my computer) pop up every time i login the user account. how can i stop it. thank you. Click here for screenshot : http://www.merricklibrary.org/ComputerPopUp.JPG Mike
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Mike, as the issue does not occur on my test machine and I cannot re-pro it, I suggest you try different restriction level in SteadyState and then we can find out which restriction causes this issue. Thank you for your time!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  Mike Chiu wrote:

Hi Sean,

The issue is caused buy steadystate 2.5.  It will not occur on the user account if  turn off all restriction on the user. but the welcome center pop up every time i login the user account, even i check off the Run at Startup

mike

Hi Sean,

I experienced the same problem, and determined it was the Windows Welcome Center...I was able to successfully check off the Run at Startup to resolve the issue - but I first had to 'unlock' the user profile.  Only then did it save the persistent state of "Do not run at Startup"...and it was fine.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Mike, I would like to confirm if the issue is caused by SteadyState 2.5. Does the issue occur if we turn off all restrictions on the user? Does the issue occur on every user on the computer?

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:55 AM
  • Hi Sean,

The issue is caused buy steadystate 2.5.  It will not occur on the user account if  turn off all restriction on the user. but the welcome center pop up every time i login the user account, even i check off the Run at Startup

mike
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:56 PM
  •  

Hi Mike, as the issue does not occur on my test machine and I cannot re-pro it, I suggest you try different restriction level in SteadyState and then we can find out which restriction causes this issue. Thank you for your time!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  Mike Chiu wrote:

Hi Sean,

mike

Hi Sean,

I experienced the same problem, and determined it was the Windows Welcome Center...I was able to successfully check off the Run at Startup to resolve the issue - but I first had to 'unlock' the user profile.  Only then did it save the persistent state of "Do not run at Startup"...and it was fine.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Sorry Sean, that is not working. Maybe i did something wrong, please give me more detail. thank you.  I also have other problem. if i turn on restriction on the user, then always getting the computer (or my computer pop up). i don't know why. please help.

thank you

mike

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  

Hi Mike, do you mean if you turn on any restriction on the user, the Computer window will appear on startup?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Hi Sean, i turn on most of the window restriction on the user. please see the following link

http://merricklibrary.org/windowrestriction.gif      this is my restriction setting.

then the computer window will appear on startup. please see the following link

http://merricklibrary.org/computerwindowpopup.gif

i try two different new vista computer, i got the same computer pop up problem. please help me.

thank you

mike 

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:59 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and may have a solution (sorta):

1) If I create a user w/SteadyState and leave all settings at default, the sidebar and the welcome center will pop up (the welcome center will just say "Computer", but it is the welcome center). I can select the properties of the sidebar and uncheck the "Start Sidebar when Windows starts", and upon the next login, the sidebar has disappeared. The welcome center stays (no checkbox option ever given).

2) If I create a user w/SteadyState and change the Windows Restrictions to none, I'll get the sidebar and the welcome center (full welcome center). I can turn sidebar off, and welcome center does not have its check box yet (first log in). 2nd login will show the Run at startup check box in welcome center and I uncheck it and close out welcome center. 3rd login will show welcome center again.

3) Create a user account w/SteadyState defaults AND block ALL programs -> no sidebar AND no welcome center: YEA!!!

4) Create user as in #3, log in, log out, and change windows restrictions to none, welcome center shows back up on next log in and cannot be gotten rid off!!!

This is on 3 different machines (All Vista Premium, SP1), using all unlocked accounts. #3 seems to work, but one or more settings in windows restrictions enable the welcome center and then one seems to be hosed.

Oliver.

P.S.: I tried #3 and the settings shown by Mike Chiu and still no welcome center: YEA!!! But, it looks like once the welcome center pops up, it does not go away....
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:20 PM
  • 1) O yeah, I'm using SteadyState 2.5....

2) Mike, my "computer" window looks ugly (not a fancy window like yours). So are you sure you do not have another setting enabled/disabled in windows restrictions? When I choose no restrictions, the welcome center looks (not in content, but in window border) like yours, thus there must be anther setting that enables the "new" look.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hi,Oliver2A. I'm using steadystate 2.5 too....(on vista ultinate)

1) i don't have another setting enabled/disabled in windows restrictions.

2) if i choose no restrictions, the welcome center will not goes away.

3) if i choose turn on restriction, the computer window pop up does not go away. it keep coming back each login. http://merricklibrary.org/computerwindowpopup.gif  like this image.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Ok, this is insane. I have 4 machines and each seems to act differently. Somehow the settings seem to come from the machine that SteadyState is installed upon, so each machine can behave differently. I have one machine now upon which the welcome center will not show up if I just do a plain setup w/o blocking programs. Go figure.

But, I also have found a solution. First of all, you need to fire up the registry editor in the account that the welcome center is popping up and check out

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and see if you see the key that starts w/ WelcomeCenter. For some reason, even an account has no restrictions (at least on my setups), the logged in user cannot delete the key. So you need to close down the registry editor and run it with an administrator account (still logged into the account that has the issues). But now

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

points to the administrator's registry entries, not the account you are trying to fix. The account is now located under

HKEY_USERS\[the SID of the user to be fixed]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Since I have no easy way of determining the SID of a user (someone else?), before starting the registry editor with the administrator account, create a string key under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows named user with the username as value. Thus as I check out the SID's under HKEY_USERS, I can find the right one.

So running regedit as administrator and having found the right SID under HKEY_USERS, I delete the WelcomeCenter key under HKEY_USERS\[the SID of the user to be fixed]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, exit regedit, log out, log in and voila, no more pop up - at least for me.

BTW, on another machine I just had to untoggle the 'Remove the Control Panel icon' log in/and out with that account, retoggle the 'Remove the Control Panel icon' and it fixed the account and all the other accounts on that machine. On the second machine, I never had the problem to begin with. The third machine needed the registry hack (for each account affected) to fix it. Go figure....

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:07 PM
  • 1) Another way to tackle this problem on a computer that exhibits this issue is to create the account in Vista first (w/o using SteadyState), log in, log out, log in, uncheck the 'Show at startup', log out and then use SteadyState and take over the account. Of course, this does not fix any existing accounts that are acting up. Also, you cannot designate a different location for the profile (it will always be on the sytem drive). In my case, I liked the fact that I could store the profile on D: and lock out C: via the settings in SteadyState, thus my quest for a solution.

2) In regards to the SID for the account to be modified, looks like only two SIDs (User SIDs) actually show up once you run regedit under an admin account. If you are using the account that was set up while installing Vista, it will end with -1000. The account to be modified will then end with -1001 or higher (ignore the _Classes). If -1000 is not one of the SIDs, just log in as the account you are using for administrative purposes (including running regedit for this fix), start regedit, go to HKEY_USERS and note which one you are (either -500 or -1000 and up). Note your SID and then you know that the other SID must be the one that needs editing. In my panic (haste, etc.) and my limited knowledge of HKEY_USERS, I came up with the "user" key trick above. This trick seems to be unnecessary.

Good luck...
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

Thanks a lot for Oliver2A's effort. Mike, let's see if the solution works for you.

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:04 AM