none
WHS and windows 7 and network compatability. RRS feed

• Question

• Well if I am posting on a forum you know I am stuck. I'm not exactly a novice, know my way around computers but it is my first time setting up a home network. Everything for the most part is working just fine including internet connections. The real problem is network media players sometimes detecting but not accessisng the media server. Here is all the info I can think of and then the real questions.

Network: Pretty simple home network. Hard wired starting with a Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router. Internet connection to all devices is fine.

PC: Running Windows home Premium 64, Windows Home Server Connector V 6.0 and HP Media Smart Server V3.0.14.

Server: HP EX495 running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 (V 3.3.1). Server and PC software is compatible. Media streamer is Twonky and all devices MAC addresses are enabled along with shared folders access.  

TV: Sony 3D Bravia. (DLNA, DMR, latest generation, ETC.)

Game: Sony PS3. Same specs as TV

Router: All internet connections work fine, PnP is enabled. Everything has an IP and MAC address.

Firewall. Norton Internet Security 2010. All devices show on the network security map and are at full trust.

Other info: The server collected all media files from the PC with no problem. Twonky streamer seems to be working fine (?). The Sony TV  and PS3 shows the server but cannot access it (?). Microsoft.Net Framework 4 client profile auto downloaded. Does this need configuration?

Questions:

1) When I look at my network map from the PC(windows 7) The server shows up at the bottom under    "The following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map".  This is where I get confused.

2) The TV and PS3 show on the Norton Security map at full network trust but show no where on the Windows Network map as media players or anything else. I guess this is where the problem lays.

Sorry if this was long winded but I didnt know how else to lay this question out.

Thanks,

Randy

Friday, September 24, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies