Magic Number Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 PC clients on my Home Server. The 1st PC runs back ups to the server just fine, but the second one (Dell Dimension 4550) has never successfully run a back up and continues to show the event log error below about an "invalid magic number".

The PC runs without any problems. I've tried using the IBM/Hitachi disk diagnosis routines on it and it shows no error. I've run chkdsk /f /r several times and also run chkdsk /r from the recovery console with no discernible error or correction. Have also run Partition Magic file utility in DOS mode and Dell's EISA partition disk evaluation utility...which found no errors.

Any ideas why I'm getting the error or how to correct it without a total reformat of the drive?

WHS events from System log
        3/17/2007 5:57:18 PM Backup set 1 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: FileRecord 16 has an invalid magic number
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecord..ctor(Byte* pData, Volume volume, Int64 index, Boolean inUse)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecord..ctor(Byte* pData, Volume volume, Int64 index)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecordReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoFileRecordPass()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
        3/17/2007 5:57:18 PM Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: FileRecord 16 has an invalid magic number
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecord..ctor(Byte* pData, Volume volume, Int64 index, Boolean inUse)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecord..ctor(Byte* pData, Volume volume, Int64 index)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.FileRecordReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoFileRecordPass()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should submit a bug report on Connect, with TalQ logs, after checking to see if this error has already been reported.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:36 PM
  • If I rememebr correctly doesn't the Dell OS install use a second recovery partion? Perhaps this is causing/conflicting with the backup failing.

Is it factory OS installed or vanilla windows install?

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:48 AM
  • I doubt that what's causing it - two of my client computers are Dell with the factory install OS - and the backups are running ok.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:09 PM
  • I checked previously. There was a somewhat similar bug report already submitted by someone else. So I added my talQ log report to validate their report.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:38 AM