D drive reallocation RRS feed

All replies

• benogil said:

Moving files from the the D: drive into the pool has long been a source of discussion. This references a new work in progress, and hopefully and add-in to accomplish this essential feature.

http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2715&st=40

Ben

Ben Ogilvie

I don't see any benefit to it now that the November update is out (which fixes the free-space-from-primary-drive-only issue).
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Hi,
    the benefit I see would be to get rid of data on drive D: (which may still be there from former times like pre Power Pack 1 or due to full data disks before adding a new drive) before swapping the primary disk against a new drive for a server reinstall on a larger or non broken drive without data loss.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    the benefit I see would be to get rid of data on drive D: (which may still be there from former times like pre Power Pack 1 or due to full data disks before adding a new drive) before swapping the primary disk against a new drive for a server reinstall on a larger or non broken drive without data loss.
    Olaf

Or you could just connect your old primary drive to a client PC and copy the data over the network. ;)

But yes, I can see how it might be beneficial as a use-once tool in your example.  I meant I don't see any benefit from it as a long-term, always-used installed add-in.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:46 PM
  • This does not help with the backup database (which hast to be considered to be a part of the data) and is potential complicated for some of the home users, especially if no compatible hardware is available.
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:04 PM