none
Windows HPC vs other solutions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!
    I'm working at a reasearch project that will build fluid dynamics silmulatior. Since there are a lot of complex computations involved, the target device is a multicore machine/infrastructure. For the beginning we considered using 4 servers with 4 processor ( quad core ). We want to have acces to all CPU unit from the application domain and change the load ballance dinamically from our simulator. It will be very helpful to us if the OS does the management of the infrastructure and the sincronization between machines.  Pracically I want a master OS that manages all the machines and has the capability of managing the task load ballancing on CPUs and also has and API to porgram against. 
        I want to be able, for example, to build a small app using .Net Framework, PLINK and PFX that can acces from the same application domain all CPUS and  memory available on all servers.

Is the Windows HPC Server suited for such scenarios? Is there available an OS that allows such an approach. Are there alternatives ( Windows Server 2008 Datacenter used for clustering) ?

Thank you
    Victor Paraschiv
    Monday, July 14, 2008 8:32 PM

Answers

•  I don't have dates for you yet, sorry.  keep following up on this community group; We will announce the community release here.
    • Edited by Lio Friday, October 24, 2008 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Don PatteeModerator Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:18 AM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Victor,

I think that Windows HPC Server best fits your needs. Although you can not use a single FPX program that uses all nodes as one (yet). It does allows you to run multiple copies of your PFX program on multiple nodes. Morover, features in Windows HPC Server allow your job to grow and shrink and thus enable jobs to better share your cluster.

as a teaser, yes we are looking into enabling exactly the type of applications you are looking for; that is running a PFX program on multiple nodes while load balancing the work across the nodes.

thanks,
    .Erez
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:38 PM
  • "...as a teaser, yes we are looking into enabling exactly the type of applications you are looking for; that is running a PFX program on multiple nodes while load balancing the work across the nodes."

Nice teaser, do you have any more information on this?  Forthcoming in the next 6 months, or for next generation HPC?
    • Proposed as answer by Lio Friday, October 24, 2008 1:47 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  I don't have dates for you yet, sorry.  keep following up on this community group; We will announce the community release here.
    • Edited by Lio Friday, October 24, 2008 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Don PatteeModerator Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:18 AM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:49 AM