Staying signed in to hosted CRM even when Outlook is closed RRS feed

• Question

• I am still looking for info regarding the systray icon that used to keep me signed into CRM even when my Outlook was closed. Apparently some recent changes to the Outlook Client now mean that that process closes when Outlook closes, but I would find it surprising if MS would just take away something that had so much benefit without offering an alternative solution. Any thoughts on that Scott or anyone else? 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:44 PM

Answers

• There are rollups for all crm components. The build number 4.0.7333.2138 refers to Rollup 7 (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971782)

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:27 AM
  • That's correct - there's no 64bit version of the client, b/c Office is 32bit. - (You're probably running 32bit office on 64-bit windows like I do.)
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hi there,

You are correct. I just tested on my UR 7 system and this behaviour appears to have changed in one of the recent update roll ups.  I couldn't quite find a workaround, but why not just leave outlook open all the time???  Outlook is the first thing I open in the morning and it usually stays running all the time.  Only time I restart start it is when it crashes :-)
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Yes the 32-bit client is the correct one - since Office is a 32bit app.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

You are correct. I just tested on my UR 7 system and this behaviour appears to have changed in one of the recent update roll ups.  I couldn't quite find a workaround, but why not just leave outlook open all the time???  Outlook is the first thing I open in the morning and it usually stays running all the time.  Only time I restart start it is when it crashes :-)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

the setting for this is at the same place as before. However the default value changed. If you configure the process to run, even if Outlook is closed, you should have the same experience as before.

Open in the Outlook toolbar CRM -> Options... -> The last checkbox

---

Just found out, that this setting is ignored?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Alex to be honest I don't know why I close Outlook; like most other people it's the application I spend 99% of my working life in -- but close it I do! :)

ckeller, that checkbox doesn't seem to be there (anymore?). Which tab are you talking about? 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:27 PM
  • I do remember this checkbox.  It appears to have been removed in UR 7 or UR 6 ??  I do not see it my my outlook crm client with UR 7, but recall it being there some point in the past.  Can anyone confirm when this went away?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:44 AM
  • I've installed the new client and rollup 7. The checkbox is at the first tab.
    See http://yfrog.com/7eoptionsp

However, it seems as the checkbox doesn't store the value anymore. If I check it, close the window and open it again, it is empty.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:19 AM
  • It's the same with me. I have CRM4 UR3 running on one PC and CRM4 UR7 running on another. With UR7, the CRM Host Process terminates when Outlook is closed (this is a feature of UR7 designed to improve PC performance and battery life and was covered in Corey's UR7 training webinar), but there is an option in UR7 to leave the CRM Host Process running after Outlook closes, but the check box value doesn't seem to persist and the check box is unchecked every time I open the Options window.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:02 AM
  • thanks everyone. Is rollup 7 for the Outlook Client or for the hosted CRM itself? If the latter, how can I determine which rollup my particular hosted CRM is up to (other than asking the hosting provider which of course I'm happy to do if I can't look somewhere myself...)

Update: the version number of my hosted CRM is 4.0.7333.2138 -- does that say anthything to anyone? 
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:13 AM
  • There are rollups for all crm components. The build number 4.0.7333.2138 refers to Rollup 7 (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971782)

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Thanks ckeller. On that basis I went to the MS kb article to get the rollup for the Outlook Client. It appears that there's a rollup for the Outlook Client on 32-bit Windows but not 64. Am I making a mistake here? Here's what the page says ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=971782 ):

The build number and the file names for this update rollup

The build number of the update rollup packages for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server, for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 client for Microsoft Office Outlook, and for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 E-mail Router is 04.00.7333.2138.

The file names for the 32-bit versions of the update rollup packages are as follows:
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Server-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Client-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Router-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-DMClient-ENU.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-SRS-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-MUI-LangID.exe

The file names for the 64-bit versions of the update rollup packages for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server and for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 E-mail Router are as follows:
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-amd64-Server-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-amd64-Router-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-amd64-SRS-LangID.exe
    • CRMv4.0-KB971782-amd64-MUI-LangID.exe 
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:55 PM
  • That's correct - there's no 64bit version of the client, b/c Office is 32bit. - (You're probably running 32bit office on 64-bit windows like I do.)
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Ah that explains it Scott. (I'm new to having 64-bit Windows on my productivity machine). Does that mean I install the 32-bit one for the Outlook Client or that I just don't install anything?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Yes, you can install the 32bit one.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Yes the 32-bit client is the correct one - since Office is a 32bit app.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Thanks ckeller and Scott. I have now installed UR7 (and the intallation seemed to go normally and smoothy with a correct finish) but I still do not get the choice in the first Options tab to keep the systray process running (as per ckeller's link: http://yfrog.com/7eoptionsp) even after a restart of my machine.

I see that the moderator has marked a couple of replies here as answers so I gather that the convention in this forum is that any correct statement qualifies as an answer. However my issue remains unresolved; at the same time I don't want to go back and Unmark as Answer the replies in question, so I'm now going to launch yet a third thread about this and try to formulate it in a way that an Answer is only something that resolves the issue. My hope is to get MS's attention for what may, I am beginning to think, be a bug.

Thanks everyone!
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:08 AM
  • SBO -

Sometimes the "correct" answer is "that feature is not available" (or in your case, "no longer available"), but I rarely like answering things that way - because the moment I think that is the only answer, someone (happily) proves me wrong.*

I'll throw out my assumption in this one -

The feature you had in previous versions, was intended to allow outlook to restart quicker by not shutting down one or more processes that CRM depended on. These features included a cassini webserver running locally and other locally hosted processes.

There was a cost/benefit that keeping the host process running made getting in/out of outlook quicker, but it consumed resources and sat nearly idle most of the time.  In your case, it also had the benefit of keeping you authenticated to your hosted CRM after you had signed out of Outlook.

In UR7 the outlook client was re-engineered to improve performance and one of the 'fixes' was to remove the need to run several of the CRM local processes except when it was absolutely required. Speaking for myself, it's  been a performance improvement on my laptop.

My assumption is that the functionality was built for one reason but that same functionality provided a different/side benefit for you. Once the original reason was 'fixed' they removed the now redundant functionality leaving you without something that had (unintentionally) provided you a reall benefit.

Two suggestions for you since I think this may be turning into a dead-end here. (despite several well-meaning attempts to help) - 

1) Create a feature request with Microsoft -register / submit it in the "Dynamics Suggestion" area at  http://connect.microsoft.com/  - This is the best way to get your feature request evaluated by the Microsoft product team. - Describe your desire to have it back in the product - or at least have a version for hosted users who use it for single-sign-on. -

2) Investigate writing or having someone write a simple background process that keeps a connection open to your hosted CRM. I assume someone could build this quickly and it could run with start up of your PC.

Hope that helps -

*[Of course by posting this I'm betting that someone will respond and prove me wrong and show us all how to re-enable that functionality in Outlook Clients that have been upgraded to UR7. ]

Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Thanks very much Scott; that is both intersting and helpful. As have been your other replies; I hope I didn't give the impression that they were not appreciated.

I agree that this may be turning into a dead end and I don't want to flog a dead (or dying) horse. I do think it's more than just a feature issue though. For example, both ckeller and NeilBenson report having the checkbox option but that it doesn't store the value they give it. That in and of itself, regardless for a minute of what option we're even talking about, looks like a bug -- MS doesn't (in my experience) ever intentionally make things that do that. Then add the fact that some people have a checkbox while others don't and that no pattern or reason can be found for this...

However, at this point I've probably spent more time on this than the feature would have saved me in three months, and caused others to spend time as well, and I'm turning into Capt Ahab going after Moby Dick for no remaining rational reason... 

In the meantime I've already opened that other thread so I'll leave it there for a while but will otherwise try to live with this minor imperfection in my otherwise finely-tuned IT environment! :)

Thanks again for all your help.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:50 PM

• :) I can appreciate the pursuit of an elusive 'fix' - sometimes it does become The Quest. 

One other item - There actually is a pattern as to who sees the checkbox shown in the screenshot.  The item CKeller and NeilBenson referenced is now only available for the off-line client - and is only in use when the client is actually off-line.

The 'hoster' process removed from the regular client are now only required/run when the CRM Client is in off-line mode. CKeller/NeilBenson could check to see if when they are running CRM in off-line mode the value persists since it's now only applicable to running the client in that mode..)

HTH - have a great day.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:23 PM