Failing hard drive or software problem RRS feed

• Question

• Help!  I don’t know what’s wrong with my WHS box, an HP EX 470.  It’s stock except for the addition of (1) 1 TB internal hard drive.  It’s been running fine for the approximate four months I’ve owned it.

About a day ago I noticed about 20 file conflicts reported in the Network section of the Windows Home Server Console.  I didn’t worry about it to much as it referenced that I had put on there about two months ago and it was nothing I needed any longer (and I was too busy to try to figure out what it meant – clicking the link that said “How do I resolve file conflicts?” brought up the help index with “The program cannot display the webpage”)

Tonight I’m restoring data to an XP client computer through a command prompt and I notice that the first file is just hanging.  Long story short is that I can’t get anything to copy from the server on that or any other client PC.  A reboot doesn’t help.

After that first reboot I get an error about the Backup Service not starting.  I look at Server Storage and the Status form y 1 TB drive says “Missing”.  Not good.  I shut it down and leave the house to get a snack.  

About 40 minutes later I power it back up.  The Status now says Healthy.  I’m now able to restore the small amount of data to that XP box.  I’m also able to restore about 400 Mb to my Vista PC using Windows Explorer (note that I’m not using any of the WHS backup products in this process).

About three quarters of the way through another 400 MB restore it can’t copy any more files.  The Server Storage Status still reads Healthy.  However, the Public folder under Shared Folders has a Status of “Failing (Check Health)”.  The Public folder is the only one I really use.  It shows 568 GB used.  My user folder is using 42 GB.

There’s a red LED warning light lit up on the front of the box.   The disks seem to be very busy right now (which may be due to low RAM… I’ve got the Console connected and a Remote Desktop session too).

Anyway, I’m at a loss for what to do next?  Suggestions???

Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:11 AM

Answers

• infotime said:

Help!  I don’t know what’s wrong with my WHS box, an HP EX 470.  It’s stock except for the addition of (1) 1 TB internal hard drive.  It’s been running fine for the approximate four months I’ve owned it.

About a day ago I noticed about 20 file conflicts reported in the Network section of the Windows Home Server Console.  I didn’t worry about it to much as it referenced that I had put on there about two months ago and it was nothing I needed any longer (and I was too busy to try to figure out what it meant – clicking the link that said “How do I resolve file conflicts?” brought up the help index with “The program cannot display the webpage”)

Tonight I’m restoring data to an XP client computer through a command prompt and I notice that the first file is just hanging.  Long story short is that I can’t get anything to copy from the server on that or any other client PC.  A reboot doesn’t help.

After that first reboot I get an error about the Backup Service not starting.  I look at Server Storage and the Status form y 1 TB drive says “Missing”.  Not good.  I shut it down and leave the house to get a snack.  

About 40 minutes later I power it back up.  The Status now says Healthy.  I’m now able to restore the small amount of data to that XP box.  I’m also able to restore about 400 Mb to my Vista PC using Windows Explorer (note that I’m not using any of the WHS backup products in this process).

About three quarters of the way through another 400 MB restore it can’t copy any more files.  The Server Storage Status still reads Healthy.  However, the Public folder under Shared Folders has a Status of “Failing (Check Health)”.  The Public folder is the only one I really use.  It shows 568 GB used.  My user folder is using 42 GB.

There’s a red LED warning light lit up on the front of the box.   The disks seem to be very busy right now (which may be due to low RAM… I’ve got the Console connected and a Remote Desktop session too).

Honestly, you should contact HP.  You have a Customer Service Plan/Warranty with them.  However, my guess is one of your hard drives is failing.  You could try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• Update:

Over night some Windows Updates were automatically installed and forced a reboot.  This morning it's back to Status: Missing next to the 1 TB drive under Server Storage.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:39 PM
  • infotime said:

Help!  I don’t know what’s wrong with my WHS box, an HP EX 470.  It’s stock except for the addition of (1) 1 TB internal hard drive.  It’s been running fine for the approximate four months I’ve owned it.

Honestly, you should contact HP.  You have a Customer Service Plan/Warranty with them.  However, my guess is one of your hard drives is failing.  You could try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:40 PM
  • infotime said:

The file conflicts were more than likely indictative that there was a problem with the drive.   There are several that indicate a hardware problem:

“The system cannot find the drive specified”
    "A device attached to the system is not functioning”

“Data error (cyclic redundancy check)”
    “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”

infotime said:There’s a red LED warning light lit up on the front of the box.   The disks seem to be very busy right now (which may be due to low RAM… I’ve got the Console connected and a Remote Desktop session too).

As kariya21 indicated, you should contact HP and you can try chkdsk /r.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Yeah, I'm figuring it's a failing drive too :(  Was hoping there might be some WHS glitch with an easy fix.

Anyway, how do I do  a chkdsk /r ?  No, I'm not a total noob.  I've been doing chkdsk since the 80's.  However, since there is no drive letter associated with this disk (that I'm aware of).  I was in a cmd window and could only address C:  Maybe that was while the 1 TB drive was missing.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:47 PM
  • infotime said:

Yeah, I'm figuring it's a failing drive too :(  Was hoping there might be some WHS glitch with an easy fix.

Anyway, how do I do  a chkdsk /r ?  No, I'm not a total noob.  I've been doing chkdsk since the 80's.  However, since there is no drive letter associated with this disk (that I'm aware of).  I was in a cmd window and could only address C:  Maybe that was while the 1 TB drive was missing.

I'm going to cheat and copy/paste from a document so sorry if it sounds a little 'dry'

Perform a full surface scan for the primary hard drive by typing the following command at a command prompt:

chkdsk /r
    Confirm dismounting of the volume

Repeat the scan for the other hard drives by typing the following command at a command prompt:
    for  /d  %1  in  (c:\fs\*)  do  chkdsk  /x  /r  %1

Depending on the size of the drives and the amount of data stored on home server, the chkdsk operation may take many hours to complete.

During the chkdsk operation, additional file conflicts of type “The system cannot find the drive specified” may occur, this is to be expected as chkdsk dismounts the data volumes on home server to complete its operation.

This can take a long time, not always but it can.

This may or may not fix the problem with the drive. It depends on why the drive is failing.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Or instead of copy/paste from a Word document, you could link this FAQ post. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:29 PM