Inability to back up to a central external HD - again RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all

I have a similar problem to that which I have read about in this forum - but I have tried many of the solutions dscribed here and still to no avail.

Hub PC running Vista Ultimate has Western Digital 1Tb "My Book" connected (via firewire) and is used as One Care central backup.  All works absolutely fine for backing up this PC.

Second PC runs Vista Home Premium and connects wirelessly via Router (BT Home Hub V2) - added to One Care circle but fails to back up to the central backup.

Start backup on second PC starts (and there is activity going on to the External HDD connected to PC1) then I get message "Backup device not found" and the system tells me "Space Available - unknown", and a message "One Care can't find the backup device.  Please check your backup device and network connection, and then click "Start Backup".

I click it anyway and get message - Backup cannot continue.  "OneCare could not back up files to the Central Backup Device because the device is currently inaccessible.  Please make sure that the backup device is connected, network is available and firewall settings allow backup, then try running backup again"

OneCare has created a folder hierarchy under /Windows OneCare Backup/ on the "my Book" for both PCs so it has managed to talk to the HDD at some point.

I feel sure this is a network/firewall issue.  All used to work but have recently replaced my wireless router and may also have plugged the wireless Network adapter into a different USB port on the second PC - could the One Care system have some history lurking in the registry still looking for the "old" network configuration?  I have used the One Care cleanup software and have re-installed One Care more often than I care to think.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks - Pete

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen

Tried as you suggest but still no luck.

However, I have now got the system working again with central backup by:

1) Completely de-installing OneCare (using OneCare Cleanup Tool) from Hub PC

2) Re-formatting external HDD (having copied it first of course)

3) Make "slave PC" the hub

4) Re-installing OneCare on primary PC, setting up as host for central store (using re-formatted external HDD) - I now have both PCs set as hub PCs (althouth this might be irrelevant)

5) Sucessfully backedup both PCs to the Cenreal Storage Device.

I guess we'll never know what caused the problem but at least it's all now working....

Thanks for your help

Peter

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hello, Pete. Verify that the permissions for the Centralized Backup destination are set correctly for all users to have full access. Also, when backing up to this destination is the Hub PC powered on and a user with administrative rights logged in?

If you need help with this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Hi Stephen - Thanks for help so far.

On your first point - Centralized Backup Device is Drive L on the hub machine and Properties - Sharing shows L:\ Shared and Network Path \\computername\OneCareShare459$.  Advanced Sharing - Permissions shows Group or user names "OneCareUsers (computername\OneCareUsers) having Full Control/Change/Read allowed.  There are no other users or groups defined.  I have tried adding "everyone" with "Full Control" but it didn't seem to help.

One the second point the hub PC to which the CBD is attached is pretty well permanently on and I am logged on as myself (an administrator).

Tried support centre but they were clearly unable to solve this problem - their comments left me feeling that this whole area of one care gave rise to a lot of problems and so I told them (after over 2 hours on the telephone) to close the call as unresolved.

I do have 3 PCs in my circle and 3 external hard drives so I can use individual ones on each PC as a circumvention but the frustration is that the centralised backup scenario used to work fine!!

Any further thoughts??

Regards - Pete

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Sorry that the problem persists. Here is what I'd do.

Start over.

Turn off backup and save your settings. Then create a network share on the external drive yourself. Share out a folder called "Backups" or similar and give permissions for all users to have full rights. Then setup Centralized backup to use the Share. I think you originally set it up to let OneCare create the backup location for you on the external drive - which should, of course, work.

Let me know if that works. Assuming that it does, look at the FAQ for deleting backups to get rid of the old backup folder.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Tried as you suggest but still no luck.

However, I have now got the system working again with central backup by:

1) Completely de-installing OneCare (using OneCare Cleanup Tool) from Hub PC

2) Re-formatting external HDD (having copied it first of course)

3) Make "slave PC" the hub

4) Re-installing OneCare on primary PC, setting up as host for central store (using re-formatted external HDD) - I now have both PCs set as hub PCs (althouth this might be irrelevant)

5) Sucessfully backedup both PCs to the Cenreal Storage Device.

I guess we'll never know what caused the problem but at least it's all now working....

Thanks for your help

Peter

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:12 AM
  •  

That was certainly the "hammer" solution Peter, but I'm glad to read that it worked for you.

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:39 PM
  •  

Dumbo me.  The darned metal gearbox was not plugged in!  I will try to back up and if I encounter an error, I will let you know.  What a dummy!  Thanks for making me think.   Disabled and sometimes assume things are taken care of .  Herb is a seior citizen and he bought this computer (I hate Vista!)

Thanks,

Jacque

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Thanks again Stephen

A final word on this one.  Seems like I have to make the source PC as well as the CBD connected PC both as one care hub devices.

I tried to add a third PC to my circle - and after initial OneCare setup on this new PC I immediately started it's backup to the Central Backup Device - and the original error arose for this PC.  I then made this PC into a hub PC and guess what - the backup worked.

Still dont know how or why I have had this problem nor why I should have to configure this way but at least I now know how to aviod the error.

Regards

Pete

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:40 AM