cannot activate Money Plus Deluxe after reformating hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I can install MOney Plus Deluxe 2005 without activating, however, to recover my old data file it keeps asking for my password which it will not accept because it cannot validate my password. Is there a way around this problem? I did try downloading the Sunset version but the same problem came up with the password.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:20 PM

All replies

• Money Plus Deluxe is not Money 2005.

What you want to do is to go to the first post in this forum, with title "Download Microsoft Money Installation Files: Solve Activation and Some Other Errors and download the installation file appropriate to the country where your Money file was created. If you installed Money Plus, you may need to uninstall that before installing the apropriate version

If you were using Money Plus Deluxe before, then note that Sunset does not do direct online access for quotes or statements. PocketSense or hleOFXquotes can perform some of the online access that Money used to do on its own.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:22 PM
  • If you were using Money Plus Deluxe before, then note that Sunset does not do direct online access for quotes or statements. PocketSense or hleOFXquotes can perform some of the online access that Money used to do on its own.

Cal, note that Money Plus Deluxe downloads were time limited to two years, which definitely have expired by now, so for all practical purposes there is no difference between Plus Deluxe and Sunset (except, of course, that Plus Deluxe cannot be reinstalled)
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:41 PM
  • bobjbkln: Are you saying I cannot reinstall Money Plus Deluxe because time limit has passed? I'm not interested in any on-line features other than importing credit card transactions or bank transactions manually.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Cal Learner: You are correct - not 2005 - I have Money Plus Deluxe (2008 I think). But Bob (bobjbkln) has a reply to my post saying I cannot reinstall MOney Plus Deluxe because time limit has expired. Do you agree? I will check out "Download Microsoft Money Installation Files: Solve Activation and Some Other Errors..."  thanks
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Cal Learner: You are correct - not 2005 - I have Money Plus Deluxe (2008 I think). But Bob (bobjbkln) has a reply to my post saying I cannot reinstall MOney Plus Deluxe because time limit has expired. Do you agree? I will check out "Download Microsoft Money Installation Files: Solve Activation and Some Other Errors..."  thanks

You can install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. You will not be able to install and use  your original  Money Plus Deluxe disk.

With  Money Plus Deluxe Sunset you will be able to download statements using the web sites of financial institutions that provide the OFX/QFX files.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Cal Learner: Appreciate the information; I will download Money Plus Deluxe Sunset and hope that I can then restore my backup data. Thanks again.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Cal Learner: I removed my copy of Money Plus Deluxe and downloaded Sunset Version. My next question: Can I restore my data? Right now it seems I can't since the program keeps asking for my password. I do remember my password but it responds there is no way to verify or something like that.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:44 PM
  • . My next question: Can I restore my data? Right now it seems I can't since the program keeps asking for my password. I do remember my password but it responds there is no way to verify or something like that.

Note that if your *.mny file is significantly newer than your *.mbf files,
    you would want to use that.

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

When you get into your file,
    remove your LiveID.  Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  If you
    already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.  To remove the
    Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your
    LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see
    File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your
    credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations.
    Check your notes.  You will not get into the file without those
    credentials in effect when the file was saved.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Cal Learner: Followed your suggestions above, however, after clicking ""I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." it requires a password. Do you have something else I can try? Thank you.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 11:56 PM
  • You will not get into your file if you don't know the credentials (email address and password) that you were using when you were last into that Money file.  Check your notes. Keep a pad of paper by your bed in case you remember something.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 11:59 PM
  • I keep all my passwords in an encrypted file "password corral" program. It will not accept the password or any other configuration of a password I may have used. I never changed the password since it would automatically fill-in the password field whenever I opened Money. Thank you for your help.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:04 PM
  • I keep all my passwords in an encrypted file "password corral" program. It will not accept the password or any other configuration of a password I may have used. I never changed the password since it would automatically fill-in the password field whenever I opened Money. Thank you for your help.

I notice that you have not referred to "email address".

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:19 PM
  • My hotmail email address would automatically show up whenever I used Money in the past as well as encrypted password. I remember using my hotmail logon when I first bought Money Plus Deluxe. I tried again to restore but have received the following message:

"...You need a Web browser in order to view...etc etc.

Forum won't let me copy the full message since it involves a link to msn - and my account is not verified?

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:30 PM
  • My hotmail email address would automatically show up whenever I used Money in the past as well as encrypted password. I remember using my hotmail logon when I first bought Money Plus Deluxe. I tried again to restore but have received the following message:

"...You need a Web browser in order to view...etc etc.

Forum won't let me copy the full message since it involves a link to msn - and my account is not verified?

I infer that you feel certain that there is no doubt that the one Hotmail email address that you mention was the only email address that you might have used on your Money file.

Your symptoms are changing then. You are not even being asked about your credentials. At what stage do you get mystery message? Does message mention EULA or "End User License Agrement", pink zebras, or what? Did you stay disconnected from the Internet during the attempted restore?

Can you open a copy of Sample.mny copied to your documents folder from :C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\Sample.mny"?

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Mystery message LINK was actually a link to "reset" my password. I copied and pasted it in my browser. As for the "sample.mny" - I will try with the Sunset version I downloaded. I will  turn-off my modem again and leave it off while trying to restore my data file. Thank you again.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:08 PM
  • That was what "Do not attempt to change your LiveID." was about. No harm, other than potentially confusing things. What is needed is the password and email address that was in effect when your Money file was successfully saved. What you did in attempting to reset your password did not actually affect that.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:15 PM