My UPnP supported router ASUS DSL-N13 issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm really a WHS newbie and I have been struggling for a few days to get my WHS installation on the ACER H340 machine done. On the Remote Access option of the WHS Settings, it is complaining that the router does not support UPnP. I already did the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool (http:go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=100267) and passed all tests. 

Manually configurating static IP for the server and port forwarding of ports 80, 443 and 4125 do not seem to help.

I am also having problems accessing the http://my_server_name.homeserver.com , https://my_server_name.homeserver.com and remote desktop console. I believe these are related to the UPnP issue.

I can ping the servername and private ip address with valid responses,  from any of the PCs on the local network in my house.

Please help! I am just totally lost.

Thank you.
    • Moved by JimR1 Friday, December 4, 2009 10:32 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Multi-PC Management)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• Anything you do on your local area network is "local" or "internal".

When logging into the server using Remote Desktop, you would not need to qualify the user Administrator in any way. By default it will be the local user, which is what you want.

Note: logging into the server using Remote Desktop is "unsupported". Windows Home Server was designed to be managed through the Windows Home Server console, and there are tools available on the server desktop that can cause serious issues, ranging from odd error messages that you can't get rid of to partial or complete data loss. Please be cautious.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ishak1 Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:27 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:35 PM

All replies

• Ishak, have you tried testing remote access from a location other than your home? Many routers don't support loopback connections, where a computer inside the local network tries to connect back to the external port on the router as an incoming connection.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

Forgive my ignorance, but will accessing wireless through the same router still considered 'internal'? In any case my main intention is to access Remote Desktop so that I can do the things that others are doing, such as uninstalling McAfee(to replace with Avast)  and installing bit torrent client on the WHS.

Another thing I need to confirm: when trying to access the using RDC, is the format for user id field '\\servername\Administrator' correct? Or is it just 'servername\Administrator'

Need all the guidance here; I'm basically a mainframe guy!

Thank you again & Best Regards
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Anything you do on your local area network is "local" or "internal".

When logging into the server using Remote Desktop, you would not need to qualify the user Administrator in any way. By default it will be the local user, which is what you want.

Note: logging into the server using Remote Desktop is "unsupported". Windows Home Server was designed to be managed through the Windows Home Server console, and there are tools available on the server desktop that can cause serious issues, ranging from odd error messages that you can't get rid of to partial or complete data loss. Please be cautious.
    • Marked as answer by Ishak1 Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:27 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Merry Christmas to you!

Good news!... just to update and conclude this thread.

DSL-N13 was behaving very badly on my home network. The intermittent but very regular disconnect/reboot of the modem-router drove me up the wall. Managed to exchange for a new set; ASUS support suspected that the power supply or the router might be causing the problem, but the problem persists. With goodwill from the distributor and local agent, managed to replace the modem with an equivalently priced ASUS RT-N16.

The RT-N16 works wonders! Eventhough I did have the following messages listed below still bugging me, Windows Home Server Console and Remote Desktop Connection are all working fine.

Error from WHSToolkit 1.1:

"Checking default IIS site on your Windows Home Server......

FAIL: Default website is not Windows Home Server Site"

Error from WHS Health monitoring:

"Updating port forwarding for your router failed. WHS was unable to update port forwarding for your router. Your web site may not be available on the Internet."

I guess I just have to learn to ignore these irritating 'informational' messages.

While I am unable to access my website from within my home network, possibly because the router does not support loopback, I did go the the nearest public library and was able to connect to my domain (https://hotmail-id.homeserver.com) without any issues.

Thanks & Regards

Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:46 AM