none
Cannot propose an answer and lost points as well. RRS feed

• Question

•  After forum update, I can no longer propose an answer when logged in and lost some points as well.
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    www.theitclassroom.com
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:07 AM

Answers

• Thanks all. And I agree with the change. I was just curious if it was a bug or update!
    Michael D. Alligood,
    www.theitclassroom.com
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:19 AM

All replies

• Michael:

You can no longer propose an answer when you were the original poster. Nor should you be able to; you should know whether your question was answered or not.

Personally, I dislike the whole Propose as answer feature, but it is better than before, IMHO.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:31 AM
  • There are many people reading the replies.  Some of us are looking to both learn and contribute.  When I see a question, and see an answer that I think is a good answer, I will click it's "Propose as Answer" button to highlight that I heartily agree.  If I see an answer that is helpful to my tasks or learning, I "Vote" it as Helpful.

These, along with the originator designating one or more  posts as the answer, are important tools to the usefulness of the forum.

So, I disagree.  "Propose as Answer" is very useful.  I don't thing the originator should be able to propose the answer, I am not sure the person answering should propose it as the answer.  I think others should propose posts as the answer.  If the originator drops off the forum and never selects an answer, then a moderator should periodically review the proposed answers and the "voted helpful" and choose and answer for the originator.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:22 PM
  • xalnix:

We have gotten rid of Propose as answer by the original poster (yea!). We have changed the icon (yea!). I agree with you that a responder should not be able to propose his/her own post (that's next!).

I understand what you say, but I would like to promote another feature which is currently almost totally unused: Vote as helpful. My full proposal is

1. Get rid of Propose as answer
    2. Get rid of Vote as unhelpful
    3. Get rid of Vote as abusive
    4. Put Vote as helpful on the second row next to Mark as answer.

Doesn't Vote as helpful fulfill much the same purpose as Propose as answer? Right now it is never used because it is buried in a drop-down.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:44 PM
  •  Update on the points problem here: http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/reportabug/thread/19866980-52b4-4e6c-9567-d455738bf132#page:2
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Thanks all. And I agree with the change. I was just curious if it was a bug or update!
    Michael D. Alligood,
    www.theitclassroom.com
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:19 AM
  • This system has changed significantly since then. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:03 PM
    Owner