Why can't my new Win7 x64 clients ever see my WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I just added a two Win 7 (x64) clients to my network/  The backups are working fine but I cannot get the WHS machine and its shares to appear the Windows Explorer.   I have no problem getting to the shares by typing the address in the address bar (e.g. \\servername\shared folder) but the system nevers appears on its own.    This causes problems when working with file dialogs that won't let me type a path directly.   The network includes  Win 7 x32 clients that have no problem at all  in this respect.  

What's the deal and how can I resolve it?

Thanks.

• Edited by Athena.. _ Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:14 AM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:07 AM

All replies

• Not sure what's wrong with your network, but a work around would be to map your network shares to a drive letter and then you will be able to use that letter in the file dialog.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Did the Connector install place a Shared Folders icon on your desktop.  If so, can you get to the WHS shares by double clicking on the icon?

Do you have Network Discovery turned on for your Win 7 machines?  (Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Change Advanced Network Sharing)

I have two Win 7 Ultimate x64 machines on my WHS and have no problems with WHS shares appearing.  I also have another Win 7 Ultimate x64 at a remote location connected by Hamachi VPN ant the shares appear normally.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I just added a two Win 7 (x64) clients to my network/ The backups are working fine but I cannot get the WHS machine and its shares to appear the Windows Explorer. I have no problem getting to the shares by typing the address in the address bar (e.g. \\servername\shared <file://\\servername\shared> folder) but the system nevers appears on its own. This causes problems when working with file dialogs that won't let me type a path directly. The network includes Win 7 x32 clients that have no problem at all in this respect.

What's the deal and how can I resolve it?

Thanks.

BullDawg
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Did the Connector install place a Shared Folders icon on your desktop.  If so, can you get to the WHS shares by double clicking on the icon?

Do you have Network Discovery turned on for your Win 7 machines?  (Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Change Advanced Network Sharing)

I always delete the desktop icon for the WHS Shared Folders as soon as its set up  so it's not there now on either machine.    I can right-click on the icon in the notification area and the WHS shares are immediately displayed.   When I do that, the server is shown in the network section of the iWindows Explorer navigation pane but, the machine still doesn't appear in File Dialogs and as soon as I close that instance of the Explorer,it disappears from the Explorer itself.  

Yes, Network Discovery is enabled.    I've read through messages from others with similar problems and see the same thing they have described: the Media Connector appears in the Network display as does the server itself in the "Other Devices" section, but it will not appear in the "Computer" section.

I do not have this problem on my 32-bit Win7 clients or even on the lone XP client; just the new 64-bit clients.

It's a puzzlement...

Athena

Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:54 PM
  • If it's because of a difference in the Workgroup names between the different clients and the server, you won't be able to correct it without a lot of bother and headaches. Try to live with it.  (For your next server, there is a way to set the workgroup name to match the rest of your network during the install - search the forum.)

Don

Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:30 PM
  • If it's because of a difference in the Workgroup names between the different clients and the server, you won't be able to correct it without a lot of bother and headaches. Try to live with it.  (For your next server, there is a way to set the workgroup name to match the rest of your network during the install - search the forum.)

Don

That's not the case! My Servers are in the default workgroup "WORKGROUP" and all my Client PCs are in a different one - I have no problems like the one described.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:51 PM
  • If it's because of a difference in the Workgroup names between the different clients ...>

That's not the case here. I always change the workgroup name as part of a new machine setup and have verified that I did it for these (according to the Windows team, it's not supposed to be necessary these days but old habits die hard).

AFAICT, these new clients are configured exactly like the existing ones;  the only difference being that the new ones are X64.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Did you just change the Workgroup name of your clients?

Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:14 PM
  • No, the workgroup name was set before the WHS connector was installed.    That's part of my standard machine setup -- when I set the machine name and description.     And FWIW, both machines have been rebooted multiple times in the interim. 

Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:26 PM
  • By "just"' I did not mean "recently", I meant "only"! Did you changed the Server Workgroup name?

Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:43 PM
  • No I did not.   I've used the same workgroup name for over a decade -- the server was set up 3+ years ago to be in the same workgroup as the other machines on the network and as machines have been replaced/added, they have been configured the same.  It's only now, with these new Win7 clients that I have a problem.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Okay, I've read all the threads about this and from what I can see, it seems to be a persistent problem for a fair number of users.   I'm convinced that there is a bug here with the Win7 X64 client but I can't find anywhere to report it.  Are we to assume that Microsoft actually expects home users to replace these servers as the client systems change?

Athena

• Edited by Athena... _ Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:30 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Honestly, it has nothing to do with the connector. I have Win 7 x64 systems that A) can see my V1 server, B) are in a different workgroup, and C) have never been joined to any version of Windows Home Server.

I think there's something wrong with discovery or name resolution on your home network, but as a matter of expediency, you can always add your server's (static) IP address to your client's HOSTS file by hand (although PP3 for V1 included a tool which should make sure that your server's correct IP address is in HOSTS if ping and UPnP beacons return different IP addresses).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:26 PM
  • To be clear, I have no problem accessing the WHS shares from the affected machines; the machine just doesn't appear as a computer in the Windows Explorer.   IOW, it seems to be an issue with the Explorer rather than a network level problem.

FWIW, ll I just checked and the server's IP is already in the HOSTS file.  I'm curious about your statement that PING and UPnP might return different IP addresses: How culd that happen?  Is something on the server generating a different IP?  I don't see anything on the router's device list that would explain that.

No other machine on the network has ever had this problem; it just started with the two new machines.  The fact that it works in some situations doesn't exclude the existence of a bug and I'm a bit concerned that there are so many unresolved threads with similar symptoms.   Frustrated users seem to just go away...

As long as this problem persists, the affected clients cannot search their libraries; which include WHS shares.  It's a real pain.  

• Edited by Athena.. _ Saturday, April 7, 2012 8:50 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:58 PM
  • ... I'm curious about your statement that PING and UPnP might return different IP addresses: How culd that happen?  Is something on the server generating a different IP?  I don't see anything on the router's device list that would explain that. ...

It's a "feature" of OpenDNS and some other third party DNS providers. When your computer attempts a connection to your server, it starts with a DNS query if it can't find a direct reference in the local name tables. OpenDNS will, in an attempt to help, merrily send you off to somewhere you don't want to go (like a search engine). Microsoft answered this by including a feature in PP3 that compares the results of a standard name lookup and the UPnP "beacon" that Windows Home Server maintains, and if the IP addresses differ, it updates an entry in the HOSTS file to point the server's name to the server's IP address as identified through UPnP.

I do understand your pain; all I can say is that a question you asked elsewhere (that I answered), plus this, would argue for a new server running Windows Home Server 2011.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Microsoft answered this by including a feature in PP3 that compares the results of a standard name lookup and the UPnP "beacon" that Windows Home Server maintains, and if the IP addresses differ, it updates an entry in the HOSTS file to point the server's name to the server's IP address as identified through UPnP.

Well it's obviously not working in this case because the HOSTS file was already there...and correct

I do understand your pain; all I can say is that a question you asked elsewhere (that I answered), plus this, would argue for a new server running Windows Home Server 2011.

I figured you that's where we were going with this <g>.<g>  The thing is, I really don't have time to do the server replacement right now. We have a number of other higher priority tasks to finish first. Not being able to search even documents though will probably move it up on the list.</g>
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Well it's obviously not working in this case because the HOSTS file was already there...and correct
    Well, I think something else is going on. But I don't know what exactly that would be. You could be right about it being a client computer configuration issue, but if it is, why does it work on some PCs and not others? I really wish I had an answer.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:29 AM
  • You could be right about it being a client computer configuration issue, but if it is, why does it work on some PCs and not others?

That's why we have bug reports: so that those who do have the resources to diagnose variances in customer configurations can follow-up...and resolve the problem. I couldn't find anyplace to report this though.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Connect.

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Connect.

So..., Believe it or not, I did actually search around on Connect before I posted that and all I found were beta versions. I think I managed to the right one it this time.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 6:28 PM
  • (You may not see all of these)

I would use the following, in this order, given you're running V1:

• Windows Home Server UR1 Bug Reporting Form
    • Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Bug Report Form
    • Windows Home Server Post RTM Bug Report Form (not really recommended).

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:06 PM