Move client computer backups from old WHS to new WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• What lead to decision to that backups of the client computers on my old WHS would have no way to migrate to the new WHS2011 server? That seems like a high priority need. Having the two side-by-side is one way not lose anything but the whole point of upgrading hardware is to void continuing with old, obsolete, unsupported hardware.

Would it be possible to do this?

1. Remove drives and copies of the back-ups in the old WHS to one drive.
    2. Remove all drives but the one drive (eliminating the DE)
    3. Power down.
    4. Move the newly constrained, one drive WHS to new hardware.
    5. Fire up the hardware in place with any mismatch drivers fixed for the new hardware.
    6. Upgrade WHS to WHS 2011 in place to maintain previous client back up integrity?

Moving the shared data (movies etc) is not hard. Time consuming but not hard. Losing all the client back-up stuff is not ideal. Having a plan to migrate some of the back ups is high priority, IMHO.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

• Basically "No". You can not upgrade any 32-bit OS (WHS1) to a 64-bit OS (WHS2011). The Client backups on WHS1 and WHS2011 are different format so you can not re-use them. Data can be moved across by a variety of methods.

When I moved from WHS1, I ran both systems in parallel until I was happy with WHS2011. The first thing is to remove the WHS1 Connector from each client in turn, install the WHS2011 Connector and immediately run a Client backup.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• Basically "No". You can not upgrade any 32-bit OS (WHS1) to a 64-bit OS (WHS2011). The Client backups on WHS1 and WHS2011 are different format so you can not re-use them. Data can be moved across by a variety of methods.

When I moved from WHS1, I ran both systems in parallel until I was happy with WHS2011. The first thing is to remove the WHS1 Connector from each client in turn, install the WHS2011 Connector and immediately run a Client backup.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:45 PM
  • That's disappointing but a very clear answer. I will move forward my entire old hardware as my backup backup, for a while.

thanks.

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Given the low cost of hardware these days your solution seems best. Personally I'll be keep my old server for at least a couple weeks and make sure I can retrieve a file from one of the backups for each client before wiping it and taking the largest drive out for the new server.

Those people stuck using their old hardware are also going to be stuck with the risk if one of their clients is unstable or gets virus'd and dies during the upgrade to the new WHS. But if your systems are stable and your careful about viruses you should win through.

Poor planning on MS part not to create a transfer agent, but that isn't very unusual when it comes to the home user market. Can't have everything though so we work with what we got!

Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA, Web Administrator

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:53 PM