Power Pack 1 Backup Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Had PP1 installed for about a week now.  Two gripes, 1 - can't schedule backups of the home server.  It appears to be manually initiated only.  Not a lot of good that will do.  Secondly, although replication of long directories/files seems resolved, now Backup pukes on the same.  I'm getting 100% backup completion status, but when double clicking on the machine for details, the backup progress shows 4 attempts to backup a directory I have that's > 240 chars.

Has anyone seen info from MS on this being reported as a bug yet?  Unfortunately, the more I try to use WHS wholesale, the more disappointed I become.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:02 AM

Answers

• Microsoft is aware that users would like to be able to schedule server backups. I'm not privy to the decisions behind not including that capability, but I would guess it has to do with ease of use and the primary target audience. If you need a way to schedule a backup of your server shares, I would recommend you take a look at robocopy.

As for the 240 character limit when backing files up, that's a known limitation that Microsoft was unable to circumvent for PP1.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:26 AM

All replies

• Microsoft is aware that users would like to be able to schedule server backups. I'm not privy to the decisions behind not including that capability, but I would guess it has to do with ease of use and the primary target audience. If you need a way to schedule a backup of your server shares, I would recommend you take a look at robocopy.

As for the 240 character limit when backing files up, that's a known limitation that Microsoft was unable to circumvent for PP1.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:26 AM
  • You dcan use scheduled server backups via WHSExtCopy.exe (coming with power pack 1), though unfortunately it is not publicized by UI. To schedule regular backups, connect to server desktop, go to control panel - scheduled tasks - Add Scheduled Task - "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSExtCopy.exe", to be run as Administrator. It will take settings (share-disk assignments) that you last set in WHS console server backup UI (check the box "remember my settings" there).

Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Sorry to dig up this old thread. But I installed PP1 RTM and cannot find WHSExtCopy.exe. Any suggestion?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  Eriin wrote:
    Sorry to dig up this old thread. But I installed PP1 RTM and cannot find WHSExtCopy.exe. Any suggestion?

That file is not available in PP1 RTM (it was only in alpha builds and pulled even before the public beta was released).  See Todd Headrick's second post in Shares backup option.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:44 PM