An OCS Test configuration that works! RRS feed

• Question

• If you are trying to setup a fully fledged OCS test environment (OCS Front End, Edge,  Mediation), you may get lost in the Microsoft deployment guides.  OCS configurations depend on scale and network requirements and the deployment guides try to combine too many scenarios in one place.  The result is a confusing mess of scenarios and configurations.

We have recently setup a lab configuration that includes a consolidated OCS configuration, Edge, Mediation and PBX integration.  Have a look at www.appliednet.gr/en/.    We have posted network diagrams and configuration details for a fully fledged (OCS Front End, Edge, Mediation) configuration that works - from the physical network to the naming of servers to DNS and certificate. 

Hope this saves you some time ;-)

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:46 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your feedback. I think the Deployment Guides are well planned and very clear. So the best option in my opinion is;

- have your design goals plannend (which functionality?)

- run the OCS capacity planning tool (design your infrastructure)

- review the OCS planning Guide (step 1)

BTW good feedback.

-Joachim Farla

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Your configuration is still a 500o mile overview. The deplayment document may be very good for series IT guys to setup real corporation usage. But what i need it is a simple SIP server so that i can create few user accounts and place calls. It is too much to configure AD, DNS, SQL, etc. Are there easy way to avoid all of those steps and setup a simple SIP server with few account ??

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Charlin,

Because OCS can't exist without an AD forest, SQL back-end services, DNS name resolution and other supporting services there is no way to setup OCS without going through those steps.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:35 PM