I want to have access to my home network which includes whs from my country cottage via internet RRS feed

• Question

• I want to have access to my home network which includes whs from my country cottage via internet. I have 6 computers. 2 laptops, 3 desktops and one windows home server that I use to back up everything. When I go to the cottage on weekends, I would like to be able to access my home computer files from my computer at the cottage via internet, but I have no clue how to set this up.

Is this doable and if so where should I look for simple step by step instructions?

Thanks to any with the expertise to help,

Steve Farrell

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:03 AM

All replies

• You put the files you want to access on your server, and you download them from the remote access web site (and perhaps upload them again if you change them). There's no other supported way to do what you want, since Windows Home Server is designed to work on your local network, not give you the same access from afar. If you're reasonably familiar with networking, you could try setting up a VPN, which would give you more direct access to the files on your server. One such tool is Hamachi. Step by step instructions are hard, because your network and needs will dictate, to some degree, how to set up a solution more complex than "use the remote access web site".

If all you want to do is access the desktop on one of the computers you've joined to your server, you can use the built in Remote Desktop services (as long as the PC you want to access is running an OS that supports Remote Desktop connections, and it's turned on). Then you'd be able to work like you were sitting in front of that PC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:17 AM