Connector cannot find server after restoration RRS feed

• Question

• Restoration stopped when installing SW on my PC because Connector was not unisntalled.
    Once done, when using SW Installation disk on PC connector cannot find the server.
    Sever is ready with new name "Hpserver" and I can see it on network (but cannot connect : password ?)
    When I try manually, the connector proposes the old server name ! If I change to new name, I have an error message.
    Any quik assistance will be appreciated.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 8:55 PM

Answers

• There's no way to get Windows Home Server to simply accept your old drives in the storage pool with data intact, unfortunately. If your new drive is large enough, though, you could:
    • Connect one of your old storage pool drives to a computer on your network (you can connect it to your server, but you'll have to perform the following steps in a Remote Desktop session).
    • Copy everything from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate shares on your server. This (DE) is a hidden folder.
    • Install the drive in your server.
    • Use the server console to add the drive to your storage pool.
    If you connect the drives to your server and use Remote Desktop, you should use the icon on the server desktop that connects to the server's shares, rather than accessing them through D:\Shares\etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if I understand you correctly you performed a server reinstall?
    In this case you will have to uninstall the old connector software on at least one client, reboot that client and after that either try to use the disk delivered with your Windows Home Server to reinstall the Connector or try to get the Connector software via http://hpserver:55000.
    The strange thing is, that the server should not have gotten a name, if you did not get the OOBE window to configure the server name and the console password in first steps.
    If you really forgot the password you set during that step, you may have to perform another server reinstall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I have the same problem with my HP ex470 and have attempted multiple restoration s using both the original system drive and a brand new replacement.

When powering up the WHS and initiating the restoration process (paperclip in the front) it appears on the network (via my routers connected devices) with a reset name, the recovery software finds the server with no problem, completes the build but then when the connector tries to attach it can't find it (nor can I see it on the network).

All becoming VERY frustrating.

Monday, May 4, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Let me ask some more questions:
    Did you uninstall the connector software on the client before starting the recovery process from the HP media?
    There are no manual set entries pointing to an outdated WHS in the HOSTS file of the client you are using for the reinstallation?
    Both the client and server are connected to the same switch/router through a wired connection?
    What happens, if you do stop the Internet connection (i.e. pull the cable from the router) to avoid name resolution issues caused by faulty DNS settings provided by the DHCP server or updates of the WHS before the OOBE screen causing eventually issues?
    (Post the output of the command ipconfig /all on the client to validate this.)
    Olaf

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Okay tested the following last night with the same outcome:-

1) Powered off client PC (Win7 Laptop) after checking no static entries and removing all previous WHS related connector software
    2) Powered off WHS
    3) Powered off router
    4) Removed internet facing link from router and powered it back on
    5) Powered on the client PC
    6) Powered on WHS
    7) Attempted recovery which completes and then fails when the connecor tries to connect for the first time

If I can't make any progress soon I'm going to buy a different homeserver (hoping there are suitable alternatives) then try copy the data across via a SATA-USB cable.

Honestly can't believe how painful this has been, very disapointed in the product and O/S now.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Windows 7 Beta (which build do you use?) belongs not to the operating systems, which are supported from the beginning.
    Would it work to modify the hosts file on the client? (You will have to run notepad as Administrator to add a record to the hosts file in Vista/Windows 7 under C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc.)

Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Well I just booted my laptop up into XP and repeated the above and excately the same results, I really don't understand how it can find the server to do the restoration but then fails on the connector. Wasted so much time on this now, very very annoyed!!!! :(
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:48 PM
  • So again:
    ipconfig /all - where is your output I asked for?
    Did you try to modify the hosts file to have a local DNS record for your home server?
    nslookup server gives which result?
    nbtstat -A IP Address of Server gives which result?

(We have no magic crystal balls here to watch your home network - so some details can be helpful sometimes, which requires your cooperation. It's also a bit confusing, that you have put your issue into the thread of another user.)

Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:39 AM
  • Apologies I read the above wrong in regards to the IPCONFIG (was using it to check rather than posting the results).
    Will gather this all later when I get home, but as for the other commands (nslookup and nbtstat) the only time the server  appears visible on the network is when the restoration is initiated (pin in the front of the server at start-up), is this the correct time to run these commands?

As for the thread, I thought best to use this thread opposed to my original corruption thread as that’s now been dealt with (by the fact I’ve swapped the drive and started a restoration). As this same issue has already been flagged by a different user I didn’t want to duplicate threads/effort.

Thanks and regards
    Andy

Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Hi Andy,
    if the server only appears with the recovery procedure shortly, this could mean, that the recovery installation never has been completed on server side.
    (IPCONFIG /ALL on the client can be issued at any time, all other commands are only working, if the server is introduced in the network.)
    Do the LEDs give any error codes?
    You might be able to check, if the router has issued an IP address to the fresh installed server in the routers configuration page (dependent from the model).
    If this doesn't clear up anything, it may be time to contact HP support. (These are the moments, in which I also dislike the headless design of the OEM models.)

In case you have a spare disk, you could remove the disks from the server (remember the positions) and insert only that spare disk before attempting another recovery.
    Steps in short:
    Uninstall the Connector software from one 32 Bit client, remove the remains from Program Files folder and registry and reboot.
    Disable eventually temporary all security software on that client, which may affect the communication (Firewall, Virus scanner).
    Insert the HP Server Recovery DVD and initiate the recovery.
    Try to complete the process (without selecting to update the server before the configuration is finished, since that can take a long time without any response, and maybe the updates fail somehow).

Best greetings from Germany and good luck
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Wahoo! Success, well sort of.

I tried another restoration
     (with just the single new drive), I had attempted this before but this time when the HP Update put of the client setup ran I cancelled it and it continued and all is up and running.

But what I need to do now is to get my data drives added, can this be done from this newly built install or do I need to repeat the restoration
     process but with the data drives in?

As usual thanks for the help,
    Andy

Friday, May 8, 2009 3:51 PM
  • There's no way to get Windows Home Server to simply accept your old drives in the storage pool with data intact, unfortunately. If your new drive is large enough, though, you could:
    • Connect one of your old storage pool drives to a computer on your network (you can connect it to your server, but you'll have to perform the following steps in a Remote Desktop session).
    • Copy everything from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate shares on your server. This (DE) is a hidden folder.
    • Install the drive in your server.
    • Use the server console to add the drive to your storage pool.
    If you connect the drives to your server and use Remote Desktop, you should use the icon on the server desktop that connects to the server's shares, rather than accessing them through D:\Shares\etc.

Friday, May 8, 2009 4:24 PM
  • At the moment the three other drives are in the WHS and being seen but are not part of the storage pool (Each assigned a drive letter and I can broswe all the folders if I RDP). Instead of hooking them up to another PC on the network, is it possible for me to copy the data locally on the WHS if I RDP to it then move/copy the data from d:\de\... to \\whs\Share or will this confuse the WHS in anyway (don't want to risk losing this data).

Thanks.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Yes, you can copy to the shares that way. That's what I said in my last paragraph above. :)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Doh! so it was, it's been a LONG day. Well I'm almost done with all the system updates so it's off to copy all the data across which I'm guessing will take a fair while.

Thanks again Olaf and Ken for all your help with this.

Andy

Friday, May 8, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi Andy,
    the detailed procedure for data recovery, which Ken already outlined, is also described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Especially I would recommend, to add only one disk at the time, if you have identical disks. That way you know, which drive to add to the storage pool after copying is finished. (Also the source will not drive D: - this is the data volume on the system disk - but another drive letter.)
    If the old disks cannot be added to the storage pool (which happens sometimes), but are not visible broken, you can follow the steps in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk which is not accepted for the storage pool.
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I've been adding drives one by one and rebuilding my shares, it looks like the failed drive was one of the additional data drives. I can still see it and copy some data off but when accessing certain folders/files it hangs then gives an I/O error. This fits the original problem I had with accessing data.

On the downside I popped that drive out and put back in the original drive that hosted the system partition (I used a new drive for the system drive) and it looks like one of the earlier restoration attempts has not just rebuilt the 20Gb Sys partition but also deleted the remaining 480Gb that was being used to host data (now showing as unallocated).

So that coupled with the actual failed drive means I've lost a few hundred GB of data, and a lot of that is not replaceable. :(
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:31 PM
  • I've been adding drives one by one and rebuilding my shares, it looks like the failed drive was one of the additional data drives. I can still see it and copy some data off but when accessing certain folders/files it hangs then gives an I/O error. This fits the original problem I had with accessing data.

On the downside I popped that drive out and put back in the original drive that hosted the system partition (I used a new drive for the system drive) and it looks like one of the earlier restoration attempts has not just rebuilt the 20Gb Sys partition but also deleted the remaining 480Gb that was being used to host data (now showing as unallocated).

So that coupled with the actual failed drive means I've lost a few hundred GB of data, and a lot of that is not replaceable. :(

My suggestion would be to look at using data recovery (either DIY or a professional service).  Note that professional data recovery is not cheap.....
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:32 AM