Login To OCS Communicator in LAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi To All,

Is at possible to login to OCS which isn't part domain, mean it's standalone server, is there any feasibility to allow third party client to login through OCS communicator?????

Thanks In Advanced
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:22 AM

All replies

• OCS must be installed into an Active Directory forest/domain as much of it's inner-working are tied to AD, it can not be installed on a simple domain-less, stand-alone server.  And the only third party client connectivity is allowed by using an Access Edge server and provisioning licenses for Public IM Connectivity (PIC).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Thanks

U meant it's only possible and can be access third party client once edge server is being configured..standalone desktop can login now matter from where he's logging on whether it can with in a LAN or accessing from outside of the network,

Let me try than...........

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:36 PM

• As long as a user has an AD account, s/he can login to the OCS infrastructure with a standalone or domain-joined Windows machine. Obviously, using the standalone machine will not provide that single sign-on, unified experience e.g. auto login to Outlook and MOC.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:44 PM
  • I guess your original question is not very clear, as I responded as if you were trying to install OCS (the server roles itself) into an AD-less environment, which doesn't work.  But it you are talking about installing the OC client on a Windows Server (or any workstation OS) the client does not need to be in the domain at all.

There is no third-party client acces directly into the OCS environment, either OC must be first installed on the computer, or CWA installed and published in the server environment so that users can login via web browser from anywhere on the Internet without need for the full client installation.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:51 PM