Home Server w/ Power Pack 3. Domain Name Setup Failure: RPC Server is Unavailable error 800706ba RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have just did a fresh install of WHS with power pack 3. Everything seems to be working great. Accept i cant setup a domain name using my windows live account. I can get remote access by using my IP address so i know that the remote access is working correctly. I get as far as inputing my email and password and as soon as i click next it gives me a error that the RPC server is unavailable. I have made sure that the right services are running and nothing seems to get me past this error. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

• Changed type brubberModerator Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:33 AM it's a question
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• Probably the live custom domains service is down. Please try again in 12 hours or so. If still no go: Logon to server desktop, Start, Run, type services.msc, Hit Enter. Then check if Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is running. If not you can try and start the service (or reboot your server)
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi brubber

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying for the past week or so and i get the same error message. I have made sure that all the rpc services are running. Also have rebooted the server several times and checked then checked the services again. Still the same error message.

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hi brubber

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying for the past week or so and i get the same error message. I have made sure that all the rpc services are running. Also have rebooted the server several times and checked then checked the services again. Still the same error message.

I have the same problem, has anyone found an answer yet as this was working fine on my system.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:06 PM
  • I also have this problem. It didn't work Monday, I released and renewed my domain and it worked for a day, now it doesn't work again.

Since it returns an error so quickly, I'm suspecting that the RPC server mentioned is actually on the Windows Home Server, not external.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:03 PM
  • I am having this same issue with a recently recovered HP MediaSmart.  My remote access was fine before I did a system recovery.  I have restarted the server multiple times but still get the same RPC error.  I don't know if this helps, but when I click the Repair button, it fails the "verify that your remote website is available locally" test and doesn't do any further testing.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Daniel

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I am having this same issue with a recently recovered HP MediaSmart.  My remote access was fine before I did a system recovery.  I have restarted the server multiple times but still get the same RPC error.  I don't know if this helps, but when I click the Repair button, it fails the "verify that your remote website is available locally" test and doesn't do any further testing.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Daniel

I am having the same problem.  I check the service and it is not running.  I start the service, go back to configure the domain name, put in my email address and password and receive the message, rpc error.  When I go back to the service it is disabled.

This has been going on since the move.  I also released my domain name and now cannot get it to allow another name.  It will not sign on to the configure name site.

Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Same issue as the others. I have tried everything listed and still have same issue.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Same problem as all the others.

HD failure on my system disk, replaced it and ran a recovery. Everythin else works, but I can’t configure the remote access!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Please logon to your server desktop (remote desktop), then do Start, Run, type cmd, Hit Enter. In command shell type Ipconfig /all. Please post result for DNS server IP addresses.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:21 PM
  • I have 2 Home Servers.

One that I just ran the recovery on (Remote access worked before the recovery, but I have not managed to configure it after the recovery),. This server has DNS 81.167.36.3 and 81.167.36.11.

On the other Home Server  (on another network) remote access worked until a week ago when it just became inaccessible (I have done no changes). This server has DNS 217.13.4.24 and 217.16.7.140.

I have 2 different ISP’s.

I hope this will help solve the problem!

Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Using external DNS server might be what's causing this problem.

The best thing to do would be to change DNS server addresses in DHCP settings of your router to a local DNS server. In general you can set DNS server to the external IP address of the router (gateway address listed in ipconfig / all output from client. Before you start making any changes in the router backup router config settings, or very carefully write down current settings.

Alternatively you can manually set TCP/IP settings on your server; Control Panel, Network Settings, Right Click Local Area Connection, select Properties, In General Tab select TCP/IP, click Properties, select "Use the following ..". Values you need to enter identical as in output from ipconfig /all on your server, except for preferred DNS server enter the value of the gateway address, Alternate DNS server should be empty. Reboot server and try again.

Friday, May 6, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Last night I was suddenly able to configure the remote access as in the old days! This morning I tested my other Home Server and after a restart this server was also accessible. I guess Microsoft had some problems with their servers.

Microsoft should have kind of status page for their systems so we didn’t  have to use a lot of time on a problem that isn’t ours!

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Last night I was suddenly able to configure the remote access as in the old days! This morning I tested my other Home Server and after a restart this server was also accessible. I guess Microsoft had some problems with their servers.

Microsoft should have kind of status page for their systems so we didn’t  have to use a lot of time on a problem that isn’t ours!

Hmm. Unlikely it's issue with MS servers, certainly for this period of time. Can you tell if you could also connect prior to reboot?
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Remote access was working on the server I had to run the recovery in before I ran the recovery. After the recovery it was impossible to configure remote access. After I put in my Live ID and my password the fields went inactive for a while and the nothing. If I tried with a wrong password I got an error message. In Sunday suddenly I could proceed and choose my domain name and everything worked.

On my other server (not recovered!) my remote access became inaccessible a couple of weeks ago. Here I had the same problem with my Live ID (different one) when trying to reconfigure my remote access. On Monday, after fixing the other server, I still had the same problem. After rebooting the server everything worked. I have tried rebooting the server several times over the last weeks.

At the moment remote access is accessible on bot servers!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Remote access was working on the server I had to run the recovery in before I ran the recovery. After the recovery it was impossible to configure remote access. After I put in my Live ID and my password the fields went inactive for a while and the nothing. If I tried with a wrong password I got an error message. In Sunday suddenly I could proceed and choose my domain name and everything worked.

On my other server (not recovered!) my remote access became inaccessible a couple of weeks ago. Here I had the same problem with my Live ID (different one) when trying to reconfigure my remote access. On Monday, after fixing the other server, I still had the same problem. After rebooting the server everything worked. I have tried rebooting the server several times over the last weeks.

At the moment remote access is accessible on bot servers!

I continue to have this same issue.  Here's the trail, as far as I can determine:

I have two home servers, one HP MSS and one home-built. I have not noticed any issues with the home-built, aside from a weird 13 GB log file issue that cropped up a while ago. Deleting the file repeatedly seems to have addressed that issue. Both servers have reserved IP addresses as xxx.108 and xxx.109 in my router's IP table and are set to DHCP.

Around February, I noticed that I could not add any new computers to the HP MSS. I rarely use the MSS for anything other than a media server - i.e., no remote access, etc. When I logged into the control panel from the MSS desktop, using RDP, I found that the TZO domain had failed or expired. No problem, I thought, I will just replace it with a Live ID domain. After entering the correct Live ID password and a new domain name, the control panel "hung" for about three minutes and then came up with the error above.

There is no issue with my router and nothing had changed except for security patches and the TZO domain expiration. Settings on the server remain the same as when I originally set it up and it has only received patches since. The HP MSS has not been recovered at any time and has worked beautifully with this exception since day one. I did increase the memory (RAM) to 2 GB, using instructions found at Media Smart Home.

I would really appreciate some assistance. The MSS no longer works as a PC backup tool, nor does the Remote Access website or domain function properly any more.

Many thanks,

Phil

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:22 AM
  • there is no answer to this I been having the same issue searched the interent to death and all the topics end like this couple of pokes and hopes then silence because nobody knows how to fix or work around this bug
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Having the same issue here.  Everything was working great, then I tried reconfiguring and I can't get it back.  The RPC error pops up so fast that it makes me think it is the result of some update or something. 
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Having the issue as well after replacing a faulty system disk. Worked fine before.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Having the issue as well after replacing a faulty system disk. Worked fine before.

I've figured out I can still access it using by using IE to bring up my router's IP address, but it'd still be nice to get the custom domain working again.
    • Edited by axemanozh Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:28 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Same issue as well. I tried to go into services to stop and restart RPC but it is greyed out. I guess no one else has had any luck with this issue either. 
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Still seeing this problem.

I also had to replace my system disk before, is that the common thread?

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:45 AM
  • I also wanted to renew my settings today and am not able to recreate my domain: I get the message:

The RPC server is unavailable 800706ba.

This is already so the entire day  :(

• Proposed as answer by MichaelKlous Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MichaelKlous Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:59 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Same problem still pops up... my Homeserver warned me several times to check the Remote Access Settings. Normally the warning would go away in a few minutes after the reboot, but the last time I tried to investigate what might be the problem. I hit 'release the domainname' and since that I'm not able to configure the domain name again... :-(

The message 'The RPC server is unavailable 800706ba' pops up so fast after filling in my live account details, that I think it must be something in the homeserver itself that is going wrong. There seems to be no time that the homeserver checked anything online or with the MS Live services...

When I google this problem it seems to be happening for quiet some time... doesn't anyone have the solution?

Michael

Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Man, this is sending me crazy.  I've been having this problem for months.  The Windows Live Custom Domains Service keeps switching to disabled on my machine and I have no idea why.  Even when I restart it and try the domain wizard, still no success.  A solution would be amazing!
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I finally managed to get past this, but it's not going to be an answer anyone particularly likes. I did a complete fresh install of the OS, including formatting all drives (both system and data) on another computer. From there, I had to install all available patches/updates from Microsoft Update (trying to set up the Domain before installing updates failed with a separate error) and the Custom Domain setup worked. I'll note that the Domain service was working before reinstalling, it just wouldn't let me configure it from the Windows Home Server Console without throwing the 800706ba error. I finally just decided to go ahead and do a complete reinstall in order to clear out some other media streaming capabilities I had been playing around with and to see if if would resolve this long lingering headache.
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:46 AM
  • Is everyone still having this problem?  It is now happening to me.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:09 AM
  • Reinstall Windows Live ID Assistant onto your WHS and it should work.
    • Proposed as answer by TheBlackBird Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:03 PM
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:58 AM
  • THANKS!!!!! :) :) :)

After 2 years, finally I was able to configure my domain name again

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:58 PM
  • This worked!  Thanks so much!  I've been pulling my hair out over this.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:58 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!

This worked in 2020!

For WHS v1 download Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5 and it will work.

<header class="major"></header>

Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:08 PM